Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Teeters <Je...@Teeters.com> on 2000/01/22 07:42:45 UTC

problems with examples/servlet

Hello,

I'm unable to get any of the servlet examples working on my
Linux system.  I'm not doing anything unusual.  I followed
the instructions exactly in the document "Tomcat+Apache-HOWTO"
Revision 1.3. The only thing I did not in that document
was to install the sun XML class files.

My system is:  RedHat 6.1, JDK1.2.2 (from Sun), also tried
IBM jdk118 (also didn't work).  Apache 1.3.9-4  (Redhat's latest RPM).

The jsp examples, for the most part work.  None of the
servlet examples work.  I always get a 404 error.

I looked at the examples/WEB-INF/web.xml file, and can't
figure out how its supposed to work with the example
servlets.  Only a servlet called "snoop" is registered.
None of the other examples are registered (for example
HelloWorldExample).  I don't know if snoop is a special
code which allows processing any servlet in the application
or not.  I could not find any reference to "snoop" in the
Sun Servlet Documentation.

I tried adding lines in the WEB-INF/web.xml file to register
one of the servlets (HelloWorldExample).  But that didn't help
either.  I still got the 404 error.

I checked, and all the directories and files are readable by any user.
All the files seem to be in place.

Any help or suggestions you can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Teeters
Jeff@Teeters.com

USA Phone: 510-649-7912