Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Alan Carroll <so...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> on 2015/08/07 19:44:17 UTC

[API} Proposal for additional IO Buffer funtions and log formatting of buffers.

I have set this API proposal up as a pull request with the documentation for the API. We will see if this provides a better platform for discussion.

API: Proposal for additional IO buffer and body template API. by SolidWallOfCode · Pull Request #272 · apache/trafficserver

|   |
| API: Proposal for additional IO buffer and body template...This is not intended to be merge immediately because it describes API that has not yet been written. Comments should be about the API itself. The new functions are ... |
|  |
| View on github.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

Please comment on either the new functions as API or on the documentation of other existing API (which was needed because it directly connects to the new API and was not documented).
The overall goal of this API is to improve the handling of error pages and BodyFactory, which in turn is intended to clean up the mess described in TS-1980 and its linked bugs. After some discussion on the IRC, the mini-consensus was that rather than passing malloc buffers around it would be better to use the existing IOBuffer mechanism. TSHttpTxnApplyLogFormat does this, taking a transaction, a log format string, and an MIOBuffer and writing the generated output to that MIOBuffer. A custom error template would be passed to this and then to TSHttpTxnErrorBodyBufferSet to create a custom error page. The additional IOBufferReader functions are intended to make this easier and to handle the use case where the plugin wants direct access to the log format output rather than passing it off as an error body.