Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Mitchell K. Smith" <mk...@pa.eplus.com> on 2002/02/26 21:15:38 UTC

Invalid command 'AuthDigestFile'

Greetings. I have searched the archives and the faq but I couldn't find much
about this issue. I am using Apache 1.3.22 on Red Hat Linux 7.1.

I want to setup MD5 authentication.

My error log contains:

/websites/intranet/html/.htaccess: Invalid command 'AuthDigestFile', perhaps
mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

My httpd.conf contains:

LoadModule digest_module      modules/mod_digest.so
AddModule mod_digest.c

/websites/intranet/html/.htaccess contains:
AuthName "Sales"
AuthType Digest
AuthDigestFile /etc/httpd/conf/.htdigest
require valid-user

A partial listing of /etc/httpd/conf
# ls
total 188
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           47 Feb 26 13:12 .htdigest
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        35416 Feb 26 13:40 httpd.conf

I am guessing that there is something wrong with mod_digest but I don't know
what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mitchell K. Smith
A+,MCP
Information Systems Manager
ePlus Technology of PA
130 Futura Drive
Pottstown, PA  19464
610-495-7800 ext. 264
mksmith@pa.eplus.com

RE: Invalid command 'AuthDigestFile'

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Mitchell K. Smith [mailto:mksmith@pa.eplus.com]

> /websites/intranet/html/.htaccess: Invalid command
> 'AuthDigestFile', perhaps
> mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server
> configuration
>
> My httpd.conf contains:
>
> LoadModule digest_module      modules/mod_digest.so
> AddModule mod_digest.c

I don't know what exactly is causing this problem, but I can tell you that
you are wasting your time with mod_digest.  As the documentation says, this
module is obsolete.  Try mod_auth_digest instead.

Joshua.