Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ceas Nux <ce...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/25 21:58:10 UTC

[users@httpd] RH linux vs W2000

Hi everyone:

I'm working on an intranet project using
Apache server under RH Linux and W2000
OS.

I've configured both systems to use
oci8 functions with PHP 4.2.2 and Apache 2.0.

The problem is that W2000 system is working
faster than the Linux one. Does anybody have
any idea to improve the Apache-Linux performance ?

Thanks
--Jeff

Re: [users@httpd] RH linux vs W2000

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> I'm working on an intranet project using
> Apache server under RH Linux and W2000
> OS.
>
> I've configured both systems to use
> oci8 functions with PHP 4.2.2 and Apache 2.0.

(disclamer about php and apache 2 here)

> The problem is that W2000 system is working
> faster than the Linux one. Does anybody have
> any idea to improve the Apache-Linux performance ?

Gonna need more info than that.  What version of RH?  What is the hardware
on the respective systems? How are you testing it?  Is there anything
obvious like the win2k box having a 1000T card, and the linux box having a
10T card?   Or having a 2ghz processor on the win2k box, and a 400mhz on the
linux box.  Does the linux box start swap when doing the testing?  Are the
configurations the same for both, barring path changes?

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com

Re: [users@httpd] RH linux vs W2000

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Ceas Nux wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm working on an intranet project using
> Apache server under RH Linux and W2000
> OS.
>
> I've configured both systems to use
> oci8 functions with PHP 4.2.2 and Apache 2.0.
>
> The problem is that W2000 system is working
> faster than the Linux one. Does anybody have
> any idea to improve the Apache-Linux performance ?

That isn't incredibly surprising to me.  Apache 2.0 on Win2k should be
quite fast.

On the other hand, it could be some configuration that you've messed up
in Apache, PHP, or the OS. But it is really impossible to give you very
much specific guidance.  We have no idea what kind of work-load you are
talking about, or how you are measuring speed.

A couple things to try:
- Use the worker mpm on linux.  It should be more scalable, if not
necessarily faster.
- Read http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] RH linux vs W2000

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

>The problem is that W2000 system is working
>faster than the Linux one. Does anybody have
>any idea to improve the Apache-Linux performance ?

um, remove un-needed processes from the initscript
don't boot into xterm.
verify that it has same quality network card.
it sounds more like an issue with system resource managment.