Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> on 2018/09/09 12:11:23 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Fortress 2.0.2 release

Hello,

This is an announcement to vote for the next release of Apache Directory Fortress.

The version, 2.0.2, has a tag created for git: ‘2.0.2’.

and the sources may be pulled using git commands:
git clone --branch 2.0.2 https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-fortress-core.git
git clone --branch 2.0.2 https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-fortress-realm.git
git clone --branch 2.0.2 https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-fortress-enmasse.git
git clone --branch 2.0.2 https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-fortress-commander.git

with their associated checksums:
- core:  90912b0aff513d5ee3afca278801de60ee1413a1
- realm: 3f945049973abde5f8472e22d11df8c31c31f67f
- rest:  1b5291418da7bfc7cbe9656ed02b2a98e8a1a85d
- web:   89612697e3ac57b05c9ae3dbec226d5e9a002751

Or, source distros may be downloaded from SVN:
- https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/directory/fortress/2.0.2/

Or, source distros may be downloaded from this location:
- http://home.apache.org/~smckinney/

The staging repo on Nexus:
- https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedirectory-1176

Test against LDAP using one of these:
 * https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/README-QUICKSTART-DOCKER-APACHEDS.md
 * https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/README-QUICKSTART-DOCKER-SLAPD.md

- Choose one of the above.  Complete (only) the sections leading up to and including the SECTION entitled: 'Apache Fortress Core Integration Test’

Please vote:
[ ] +1   | Release Fortress 2.0.2
[ ] +/-0 | Abstain
[ ] -1   | Do *NOT* Release Fortress 2.0.2

Re: [VOTE] Apache Fortress 2.0.2 release

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Sep 11, 2018, at 12:43 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> , and on MacOSC, tomcat is not
>>> excatly installed as described
>>> (/usr/local/tomcat8/apache-tomcat-8.0.30/... instead of
>>> /usr/local/tomcat8/... as specified in the doco). Also the permissions
>>> have to be set carefully (root vs user).
>>
>> Confused by this one.  here are the instructions from ApacheDS & Fortress QUICKSTART:
>
> Forgive me, the key here is the trailing '/'. If it's missing, then the
> whole apache-tomcat-8.0.30 is kept.

Working on open source means we don’t have to apologize right Emmanuel?  :-)  No problems here, only opportunities.  We’ll figure something out to get this resolved.

—Shawn

Re: [VOTE] Apache Fortress 2.0.2 release

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

>> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> - I had a bit of hard time checking the code against ApacheDS, because
>> the INSTALL-xxx files are a bit outdated (typically, the number of
>> successful tests is not what I get)
>
> What we’ll do here is remove the literal number of tests, as that’s always changing, as more tests are added.  The important thing — no failures.

Yep. Sounds the right call.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Apache Fortress 2.0.2 release

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Sep 11, 2018, at 12:24 PM, Lothar Haeger <lo...@brummelhook.com> wrote:
>
> Shawn McKinney wrote:
>
>> mv apache-tomcat-8.0.30 /usr/local/tomcat8
>>
>> Not sure why on a Mac (in Bash) the mv command appends distro name to the
>> path and not in Linux.
>
> BSD (Mac) vs. GNU (Linux) seem to differ in behavior when the second parameter
> is a directory that already exists:

As they say, BSD not Linux, wait, I mean GNU not BSD, er … nevermind.  ;-)

Thanks for chiming in Lothar.  We'll try to find a common command, that works on both, to avoid confusions.

—Shawn

Re: [VOTE] Apache Fortress 2.0.2 release

Posted by Lothar Haeger <lo...@brummelhook.com>.
Shawn McKinney wrote:

> mv apache-tomcat-8.0.30 /usr/local/tomcat8
>
> Not sure why on a Mac (in Bash) the mv command appends distro name to the
> path and not in Linux.

BSD (Mac) vs. GNU (Linux) seem to differ in behavior when the second parameter
is a directory that already exists:

BSD mv:

NAME
     mv -- move files

SYNOPSIS
     mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source target
     mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source ... directory

DESCRIPTION
     In its first form, the mv utility renames the file named by the source
operand to the destination path named by the target operand.  This form is
assumed
     when the last operand does not name an already existing directory.

     In its second form, mv moves each file named by a source operand to a
destination file in the existing directory named by the directory operand.  The
des
     tination path for each operand is the pathname produced by the
concatenation of the last operand, a slash, and the final pathname component of
the named
     file.

GNU mv:

`mv' moves or renames files (or directories).  Synopses:

     mv [OPTION]... [-T] SOURCE DEST
     mv [OPTION]... SOURCE... DIRECTORY
     mv [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY SOURCE...

   * If two file names are given, `mv' moves the first file to the
     second.

   * If the `--target-directory' (`-t') option is given, or failing
     that if the last file is a directory and the
     `--no-target-directory' (`-T') option is not given, `mv' moves
     each SOURCE file to the specified directory, using the SOURCEs'
     names.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Fortress 2.0.2 release

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A few remarks :
>
> - signatures on dist should not supply a SHA1 signature (neither a MD5),
> SHA256 or/and SHA512 should be provided bseside a .asc file. You can
> easily add the sha256/512 signatures to the existing dist directory with
> the following command :
>
> gpg -v --default-key "<public key>" --print-md SHA256 "<file to sign>" >
> "<file to sign>".sha256
>
> Same thing with 512.

OK

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> - I had a bit of hard time checking the code against ApacheDS, because
> the INSTALL-xxx files are a bit outdated (typically, the number of
> successful tests is not what I get)

What we’ll do here is remove the literal number of tests, as that’s always changing, as more tests are added.  The important thing — no failures.

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> , and on MacOSC, tomcat is not
> excatly installed as described
> (/usr/local/tomcat8/apache-tomcat-8.0.30/... instead of
> /usr/local/tomcat8/... as specified in the doco). Also the permissions
> have to be set carefully (root vs user).

Confused by this one.  here are the instructions from ApacheDS & Fortress QUICKSTART:

## SECTION 5. Apache Tomcat Setup
1. Download and prepare the package:

wget http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-8...
tar -xvf apache-tomcat-8.0.30.tar.gz
sudo mv apache-tomcat-8.0.30 /usr/local/tomcat8
*** end ***

Not sure why on a Mac (in Bash) the mv command appends distro name to the path and not in Linux.  Will have to tst it, before I understand.  The preqeqs don’t claim support for macos, but of course it *should* work, and no reason not too fix inconsistencies.

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think those INSTALL documents are of great values, but we might want
> to simplify them - there are a LOT of manual commands to type, with the
> risk of missing one - by providing a batch that does the job. It might
> be wishfull thinking though ;-)

Yep, these docs need some love for sure.  Thanks for the taking the time to explain your findings Emmanuel.  Much appreciated, we’ll put it to good use.

— Shawn

Re: [VOTE] Apache Fortress 2.0.2 release

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Sep 11, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A few remarks :
>
> - signatures on dist should not supply a SHA1 signature (neither a MD5),
> SHA256 or/and SHA512 should be provided bseside a .asc file. You can
> easily add the sha256/512 signatures to the existing dist directory with
> the following command :
>
> gpg -v --default-key "<public key>" --print-md SHA256 "<file to sign>" >
> "<file to sign>".sha256
>
> Same thing with 512.

OK

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
My +1.

o Built from sources and dist
o Checked the signatures
o Checked the N&L files
o Checked against ApacheDS

A few remarks :

- signatures on dist should not supply a SHA1 signature (neither a MD5),
SHA256 or/and SHA512 should be provided bseside a .asc file. You can
easily add the sha256/512 signatures to the existing dist directory with
the following command :

gpg -v --default-key "<public key>" --print-md SHA256 "<file to sign>" >
"<file to sign>".sha256

Same thing with 512.

- I had a bit of hard time checking the code against ApacheDS, because
the INSTALL-xxx files are a bit outdated (typically, the number of
successful tests is not what I get), and on MacOSC, tomcat is not
excatly installed as described
(/usr/local/tomcat8/apache-tomcat-8.0.30/... instead of
/usr/local/tomcat8/... as specified in the doco). Also the permissions
have to be set carefully (root vs user).

I think those INSTALL documents are of great values, but we might want
to simplify them - there are a LOT of manual commands to type, with the
risk of missing one - by providing a batch that does the job. It might
be wishfull thinking though ;-)

Overall, great job, Shawn !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Result, was: [VOTE] Apache Fortress 2.0.2 release

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I’m closing this vote, it was successful.  We received 4 binding +1 votes:
Emmanuel, Stefan, Kiran and I.

There were a few items caught during the voting.  The signatures was fixed (-.md5, sha1, +sha256, sha512), per Emmanuel’s instructions.  The other items related to installation docs, were also fixed, but won’t make it into this release.

I’ll finish up the website preps, other tasks to complete this release and announce in a couple of days.  Thanks to the project team for all of your help and support getting us here.

--Shawn

Result, was: [VOTE] Apache Fortress 2.0.2 release

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
+1
Built the source distribution using Java8 on OS X, tested against ApacheDS
using docker image and verified signatures.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Sep 10, 2018, at 12:33 AM, Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>

> PS: Build of fortress-core with Java 11+ea25 fails because java.xml.bind
> is no longer part of JDK

Thanks Stefan.  Ticket created to track this issue.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FC-244

—Shawn

Re: [VOTE] Apache Fortress 2.0.2 release

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
+1

* Verified checksums and signatures
* Build fortress-core from source package and run tests against OpenLDAP

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
+1