Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pavneet singh Kochhar <ko...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/03 04:01:51 UTC

Re: Tomcat 5 Repository

Thanks for the help Chuck!

I checked the svn repository but coudn't really figure out how to get the
commit logs which shows the files changed for Tomcat5. The commits show
something like

r588813 | markt | 2007-10-27 08:11:17 +0800 (Sat, 27 Oct 2007) | 1 line
archive prep
r588811 | markt | 2007-10-27 08:10:25 +0800 (Sat, 27 Oct 2007) | 1 line
Create folder for 5.0.x archive

which I believe are related to adding files to archive etc. However, I
require the files changed during commits.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Tomcat 5 Repository

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2014-02-04 Pavneet singh Kochhar <ko...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:08 AM, Konstantin Kolinko
> <kn...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> > On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
>> > Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>>

>  >3. What tools are you using? Do you know how to use those tools?
>

> Currently I am using SVN to examine the commit logs.
>

>> >4. Tomcat 5.5 and earlier consist of several components
>> >(build, connectors, container, jasper, servletapi).
>

>>Each of those was a separate project.
>> >Each of those had its own trunk/tags/branches structure
>> >Each of those has its own svn history.
>>
>> I am interested in commit logs related to all the components since I would
> want to know which files were changed during bug fixing.

Two ways:
a) Get log for each one and combine them
b) Get log for the root ('/tomcat/')

Do not forget to use '--limit' argument when using 'svn log' command.
E.g. 'svn log --limit 100'

(By default svn log does not have a limit, which is a burden on the server).

>> >5. Source code for older versions of Tomcat was migrated from CVS.
>> >CVS does not save history when files are renamed or copied.
>>
>> Ok, is it possible to get the CVS repository or any other option where I
> can get commit logs.

The logs are there. I am just saying that it may be a bit harder to
follow those.

>> >If you are looking for an old change, you may have to look for Tomcat
>> >4 or earlier sources for the same-named file.
>>
>>   No, i am only interested in commit logs associated with Tomcat5.
>

>> 6. All commit e-mails can be found in mailing list archives.
>>

> Ok
>
> In short, I need all the commit logs (Tomcat5 only) which I can examine to
> find the fixes for bugs. From these fixes, I can get the information about
> the files changed.
> Thanks for the help!

archive for commit e-mail with that bug number.

If you know the text in changelog.xml, you can search for that text.

If you know in what version an issue was fixed, you can perform svn
diff between versions and get a list of changed files.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 5 Repository

Posted by Pavneet singh Kochhar <ko...@gmail.com>.
<kn...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
> > Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> At least you've got the right mailing list this time.  No idea where you
> >> were looking, but the 5.0 and 5.5 are pretty obvious when you look in
> the
> >> places linked to from the Tomcat home page:
> >> http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/
> >> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/archive/
> >

> 2014-02-03 Pavneet singh Kochhar <ko...@gmail.com>:
> > Thanks for the help Chuck!
> >

> >1. Follow the rules
> >http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users
> >-> 6. Do not top-post.
>
> OK

> >> I checked the svn repository but coudn't really figure out how to get
> the
> >> commit logs which shows the files changed for Tomcat5. The commits show
> >> something like
> >>
> >> r588813 | markt | 2007-10-27 08:11:17 +0800 (Sat, 27 Oct 2007) | 1 line
> >> archive prep
> >> r588811 | markt | 2007-10-27 08:10:25 +0800 (Sat, 27 Oct 2007) | 1 line
> >> Create folder for 5.0.x archive
> >>
> >> which I believe are related to adding files to archive etc. However, I
> >> require the files changed during commits.
> >>

> >2. What are you trying to do and why? What is your goal?

I am a researcher and want to examine the commit logs of Tomcat5. I have
some bug reports      associated with Tomcat5 and I wish to know which
commits fixed a particular bug & correspondingly which files were changed
to fix that bug.

Re: Tomcat 5 Repository

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.