Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org> on 2013/05/10 18:39:17 UTC

Website update 4

Update:
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-05-10/
Previous versions:
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-16/
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-03/
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-03-26/
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-03-13/
Head version, for following things as they change:
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/
The source code and README:
    https://github.com/ssorj/transom

Some bigger changes:

  - Added scripts to generate release notes
  - Added link to EAP 6 instructions in JCA page
  - Added QMF api doc
  - Add pdfs to book-generation scripts
  - Updated the messenger doc snapshot
  - Added messenger and protocol engine API doc in C, python, and java
  - Added messenger examples in many languages
  - Added make target and instructions for publishing content
  - Improved the developer center
  - Added 0.22 release content
  - Overhauled the scripts for generating release content
  - Added jms examples

To better show the proposed launch state, I've made 0.22 the current
release in the preview site.  As a result, some of the links won't
work because they point to things (such as a release tag) that don't
exist yet.

I'd like to hold a vote in about a week on replacing our current
website.  I'll have time for another update in the meantime, so please
let me know about any changes you'd like to see.  In particular, take
a pass through the component page for the parts of Qpid you are
familiar with.  I'd love to get some detailed corrections and
refinements.

Thanks!
Justin

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 05/14/2013 04:45 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 05/10/2013 05:39 PM, Justin Ross wrote:
>> Update:
>>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-05-10/
>> Previous versions:
>>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-16/
>>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-03/
>>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-03-26/
>>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-03-13/
>> Head version, for following things as they change:
>>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/
>> The source code and README:
>>      https://github.com/ssorj/transom
>>
>> Some bigger changes:
>>
>>    - Added scripts to generate release notes
>>    - Added link to EAP 6 instructions in JCA page
>>    - Added QMF api doc
>>    - Add pdfs to book-generation scripts
>>    - Updated the messenger doc snapshot
>>    - Added messenger and protocol engine API doc in C, python, and java
>>    - Added messenger examples in many languages
>>    - Added make target and instructions for publishing content
>>    - Improved the developer center
>>    - Added 0.22 release content
>>    - Overhauled the scripts for generating release content
>>    - Added jms examples
>>
>> To better show the proposed launch state, I've made 0.22 the current
>> release in the preview site.  As a result, some of the links won't
>> work because they point to things (such as a release tag) that don't
>> exist yet.
>>
>> I'd like to hold a vote in about a week on replacing our current
>> website.  I'll have time for another update in the meantime, so please
>> let me know about any changes you'd like to see.  In particular, take
>> a pass through the component page for the parts of Qpid you are
>> familiar with.  I'd love to get some detailed corrections and
>> refinements.
>
> I think it is great!

I forgot to mention in my previous reply - I think the website is great also.
Big improvement. Well done Justin!

Re: Website update 4

Posted by "Weston M. Price" <wp...@redhat.com>.
On May 22, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org> wrote:

> I ended up with "Qpid JCA - A JCA resource adapter for AMQP brokers",
> which is not quite what Gordon recommended.  I added the AMQP
> qualification on the notion that we probably aren't perfectly generic
> with respect to jms impls.  Please correct me!

Makes sense actually in that we are not generic with regards to JMS as we are AMQP specific. The only generic JMS adapter I know of is the one from the Glassfish project.

-W

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by "Weston M. Price" <wp...@redhat.com>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 25 May 2013 14:22, Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've mocked up nightly release pages in a way I hope is similar to how
> you envisioned it.  I like how it turns out.
>

> http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/releases/index.html#nightly-releases
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/releases/qpid-nightly/index.html
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/releases/qpid-proton-nightly/index.html

This is exactly what I was thinking, so I also like it :)

On the first link the setence about older releases seems like it should
move up a section, it was presumably in 'Past Releases' before?

> Most of the links on the release pages themselves are broken, and we
> need some more advisory text, but it serves to illustrate one way to
> do it.
>
> Things we'll need or want in order to fill in the broken links:
>
>   - A place to push nightly builds.
> "http://www.apache.org/dist/qpid/nightly/" perhaps?

You aren't allowed to use the main dist area (and thus mirrors) for stuff
like this, only actual releases. There is now a separate dev distribution
area but I believe thats still only intended for e.g betas and release
candidates.

>   - To adapt doc gen scripts to produce docs from trunk.  I can
> definitely do that.
>
>   - A way for a cron job to commit to our svnpubsub path.  I'm not
> sure about this one.

I was envisaging that we would set up jobs on the Buildbot instances and
simply link to the job output, or if possible have those jobs able to
commit somewhere (with their own credentials) that uses svnpubsub to deploy
the output to a specific tree of the website that we wouldnt otherwise
touch ourselves.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/

> [...]

the time it comes to the point to release the component(s) it should to
some extent effectively be a case of making a copy of what has already been
published previously for the component(s).

> > I noticed several links out to the wiki, e.g:
> > From the developers page:
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/qpid-project-etiquette-guide.html
> > From the source code page:
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/getting-started-guide.html
> > From the Java Broker component page 'features':
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/configure-operational-status-logging.html
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/configure-broker-and-client-heartbeating.html
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/configure-the-virtual-hosts-via-virtualhostsxml.html
> > From the Java Broker component page 'documentation' :
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/qpid-java-build-how-to.html
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/getting-started-guide.html
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/qpid-java-faq.html
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/qpid-troubleshooting-guide.html
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/java-broker-design.html
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/qpid-java-documentation.html
> >
> > The content from some of these has been on the main website for years,
> > others are now part of the source controlled documentation, and most of
> > them are partially or entirely out of date. I think we should avoid
> linking
> > out to the wiki where possible, particularly for end user documentation.
> It
> > disrupts the flow of using the site, looks pretty poor in comparison, is
> > often kind of slow, and is mostly out of date at this point. We have been
> > and should continue to look to get as much of the actual user
> documentation
> > we consider current into the source-controlled documentation we keep to
> > help ensure it is kept relevant to the specific releases, rather than
> > collect lots of cruft that will go stale the way the old wiki based site
> > clearly has over the years. I would like to see us finish transitioning
> any
> > remaining useful user documentation that remains only on the wiki over to
> > the website or source controlled docs and then pretty much entirely nuke
> > the wiki from orbit and proceed with only the things it makes sense to
> keep
> > there. Then if we are linking out to wiki content I would probably link
> > the actual wiki itself and not the transformed HTML copy of it (which we
> > should probably get deleted some day to clear out old stale pages since
> it
> > doesn't seem to remove things when you delete wiki pages).
>
> This is interesting.  I have been operating from the other side of
> this, thinking the next thing I would turn to is cleaning up the
> content of the wiki and making it more presentable.  I like the wiki
> for developer documents well enough, and I don't mind being the one
> who "owns" the problem of keeping the wiki in shape.

I dont have a particular problem with the wiki being used for e.g certain
developer docs (some of the ones above I'd say should be on the website, or
indeed already were) and general 'things that a wiki is suited to' like
working up a proposal for Feature X etc.

I'd just prefer that if we do so it is remotely up to date, and the
majority of the information currently on it is rather massively out of
date. I think much of it is beyond recovery, say 3-5 years in some cases,
and its time to simply delete it. I'll add that to my list of 'things to do
when bored'.

> For user documentation, I agree.  Indeed, most of the user doc is tied
> to a release and belongs under source control.  In general, I've tried
> to link out to the wiki (or jira) for user documentation only when I
> couldn't find the equivalent information in the formal docs.  Any
> corrections would be very much appreciated, now, or in the future when
> content is migrated.

I'll have a look through at the weekend and come up with concrete
suggestions...off hand, half the things I linked above would currently be
on my 'to delete' list and so I'd be looking not to link to them.

> > I had a quick look at the source and had a couple of questions:
> >
> > Am I right in thinking you now need to perform 2 generation steps to get
> > from the docbook source to having output that can be put up on the site?
> > This seems a little cumbersome, especially given the current single
> > generation step seems to make people too lazy to publish their changes on
> > the site as it is (though I guess we should just get around to automating
> > this with a build on the ASF Buildbot instances and link to that).
>
> Sort of.  In general, for release content, there's a special
> generation step.  That's really a per-release task, however, not
> something that many developers would typically do.

I might be the exception, but when I bother myself to write new docs I tend
to want them on the site and publish them immediately.

>  The idea is that
> the release manager would do the generation with each new release.

Sort of related to the earlier point on nightlies, I think we should be
preparing the release content as we go so that the release itself is as
close to a no-op as possible for the release manager.

> I've spent a good deal of time to make this easy (much easier than
> it's been in the past), probably because it's one of the jobs I've had
> to do with each release.
>
> Also, I guess I should say that the two steps are easily collapsed:
> "make gen-release RELEASE=0.22 render".
>
> Trunk documentation would, as you suggest, best be solved by automated
> builds.
>
> > I noticed some html files that just look to be doing redirects with meta
> > refresh. Would it not be better to use an .htaccess file and have the web
> > server do the redirect? (Or in the case of the documentation page that I
> > originally noticed it in, just actually have a documentation page as
> > mentioned)
>
> I looked at this, and I (a) don't think the meta redirects are very
> bad and (b) don't feel super great about rewrite use in  .htaccess
> (see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/htaccess.html#when).
> That said, I don't really care about it very strongly.

The .htaccess support is already enabled, so any necessary overhead is
already being incurred. We are using .htaccess redirects currently, it is
basically just how such user configuration tends to be permitted on shared
webservers.

I could be wrong but I have long been under the impression that use of
meta-refresh was discouraged in favour of server side redirection.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
That's something I have looked at a little.  I intend to do a deeper
investigation after 0.22 and the big site update.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 24 May 2013 13:30, Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of the issues you raise will be addressed in an upcoming "update"
> mail, so I won't address them here.
>
> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Robbie Gemmell
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

[.. snip ..]

> > I had a quick look at the source and had a couple of questions:
> >
> > Am I right in thinking you now need to perform 2 generation steps to get
> > from the docbook source to having output that can be put up on the site?
> > This seems a little cumbersome, especially given the current single
> > generation step seems to make people too lazy to publish their changes on
> > the site as it is (though I guess we should just get around to automating
> > this with a build on the ASF Buildbot instances and link to that).
>
> Sort of.  In general, for release content, there's a special
> generation step.  That's really a per-release task, however, not
> something that many developers would typically do.  The idea is that
> the release manager would do the generation with each new release.
> I've spent a good deal of time to make this easy (much easier than
> it's been in the past), probably because it's one of the jobs I've had
> to do with each release.
>
> Also, I guess I should say that the two steps are easily collapsed:
> "make gen-release RELEASE=0.22 render".
>
> Trunk documentation would, as you suggest, best be solved by automated
> builds.

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to why a two step document generation process
would be a good idea.  Is there something that is now being done that
cannot be done using the docbook -> html XSL transforms?  I'm not the
greatest fan of docbook, but adding in a secondary transform on top of an
existing transform seems a little odd.  If docbook cannot give us the
output we need, why are we still using docbook?

-- Rob

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

I have been preparing this email bit by bit for several days, here it
finally is...sorry it's a bit long now :)

I took another look and the site continues to improve, good work!

I think it was Jakub who previously mentioned the lack of links to trunk
documentation. I too find their absence noticable as they are the only
documentation links I tend to use outside of testing the releases. 15
minutes after I wrote that, I just accidentally came across links to trunk
documentation for the Java broker and Programming (but not C++ broker)
books hidden away in More Resources, taking me on to the next point which I
wrote before this sentence existed.

I think we could do with retaining the Documentation page and link in the
menu. Each Release page does have links to all the documentation in that
release (so basically two sets currently: Proton, and everything except
Proton), but the individual release pages aren't themselves that obvious as
you only seem to get to them if you notice the bit of text on the download
page. Obviously each component page has links to its specific documentation
but it still feels a little harder to get to the docs than it seems it
should or already is on the existing site, so I think they need to be
linked to more prominently.

Linking the above points together it might also be nice to have a 'nightly
release' page. We generate nightly builds for the Java components and push
out the maven artifacts to the snapshots repo, doing the equivalent for all
the components would probably help improve the release process if we made
it easier for people to test things whenever they like rather than always
waiting for the next RC to drop before discovering things aren't as
expected.

I'm not a huge fan of the single-page HTML documentation and think we
should continue to offer the multi-page version, which is all we ever
offered in the past. Offering both seems like it would be reasonable, then
people can view which they prefer.

It has been mentioned before about the font seeming overly large. I'm not
sure if it was actually reduced already, but it remains larger than most if
not all other sites I typically read. Reading the documentation really made
it stick out, e.g. the table of contents are around two thirds longer than
on the existing site.

A couple of minor edits are needed on the download page:
The JCA download link says it is linking to the java broker package (though
it isn't actually).
The signature verification section has an odd version number: "pgpv
qpid-0.0.22.tar.gz.asc"

The contributers page could use a refresh, it doesn't have Fraser as a
committer.

It is probably time to have the logo discussion...yay.

> [...]

This seems a little cumbersome, especially given the current single
generation step seems to make people too lazy to publish their changes on
the site as it is (though I guess we should just get around to automating
this with a build on the ASF Buildbot instances and link to that).

I noticed some html files that just look to be doing redirects with meta
refresh. Would it not be better to use an .htaccess file and have the web
server do the redirect? (Or in the case of the documentation page that I
originally noticed it in, just actually have a documentation page as
mentioned)

Finally, in the instructions for publishing people also need to check if
any pages have been removed/renamed, as just copying the new stuff over the
top wont show that and the old output will then be left to go stale (much
as with the transformed wiki html output).

Robbie

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 05/10/2013 12:39 PM, Justin Ross wrote:
> Update:
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-05-10/

Perhaps a Documentation link under Resources on the front page, leading to a
list of all the docs?

C++ Broker page: "High Availability" links to C++ broker book, suggest a link to
the HA chapter.
It's not immediately obvious what section you should read if you're just brought
to the book.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Having been the person progressing the last Great Logo Discussion, I knew
too well how they can proceed and I didn't wan't to see it get in the way
of the far more important discussion about the website content.

If we are getting ready to publish it though then I guess it is time to
have that discussion.

Robbie

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Steve.  I'm very pleased that you like it.

Qpidcomponents.org has three problems:

  - Fixes for the store code are no longer going to the rhmessaging repo
    - Instead they're going to the "legacystore" module under
qpid/cpp; this is part of an ongoing effort by Kim van der Riet to
update the store interface
  - Cumin and sesame no longer live there either; they're at fedoraproject.org
  - I don't have access to it, so I can't fix it (I've asked and
received no response)

For these reasons, I'm not keen on linking to qpidcomponents.org.
What I obviously *should* do is link to the above named resources
somewhere in the site content.

RE: Website update 4

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 18:20 +0000, Steve Huston wrote:
> Looks very nice, Justin!
>
> I don't see a link or description of qpidcomponents.org - since that's where users can get the Linux store, I think that's important. Maybe off the Downloads page like now?

As of 0.22 The store is in the main qpid source base (in
qpid/cpp/src/qpid/legacystore). so we no longer have to point to
anywhere external to get it.

Andrew

RE: Website update 4

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Looks very nice, Justin!

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Re: Website update 4

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 05/10/2013 05:39 PM, Justin Ross wrote:
> Update:
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-05-10/
> Previous versions:
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-16/
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-03/
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-03-26/
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-03-13/
> Head version, for following things as they change:
>      http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/
> The source code and README:
>      https://github.com/ssorj/transom

One other comment, on the 'discussion' page, it describes the two Qpid
lists as:

     Users - Raise general questions, find out how a feature
             works, or ask about any problems you encounter
     Developers - Discuss the ongoing development of Qpid

I would like to suggest changing that to more strongly emphasise the
users list as the default place for all conversations. Specifically I
feel the description above for the dev list is too broad.

'Ongoing development' is very relevant to users and the fact that much
of this has occurred on the dev list in the past has led to a lack of
visibility into plans.

In my view the dev list should only be used for issues that are
obviously of little interest to most users. I can think of very few
conversations that would fit into that category.

RE: Website update 4

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Looks very nice, Justin!