Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/23 06:43:16 UTC

Create a public open GitHub org for Flink ecosystem projects.

Hi Flink devs,

Recently we had some discussion in the Flink PMC about creating a public
open GitHub organization to host the code repo of some Flink ecosystem
projects. Instead of the Flink PMC doing this, we found that it is more
suitable for someone in the Flink community to do this on their personal
behalf. So here I would love to see if people would be interested in coming
together to help create and maintain this GitHub organization as a
community effort.

*** Motivation*

Currently, usually an ecosystem project is hosted in a company's GitHub
repo. However, this does not always work well for those who want to
collaborate on the projects..

   1. Some employers may have concerns if their employees contribute code
   to another company's repo. Instead, they would rather fork and develop in
   their own repo. This results in split efforts instead of joint force to
   develop the project.
   2. Sometimes a company's policy disallows granting repo permissions to
   external contributors.
   3. Sometimes a company does not have a GitHub repo and is also not
   willing to open source a project in a personal repo.

Therefore a public open GitHub organization would provide a *neutral* place
helpful to facilitate the sharing and collaboration on the Flink ecosystem
projects for developers in these situations.

*** How does it work?*

   1. The public ecosystem GitHub org would be created and maintained by a
   few volunteers.
   2. The volunteers who maintain the org are only responsible for creating
   and deleting the individual project code repositories upon the requests
   from the project owners.
   3. When someone wants to put a Flink ecosystem project in this
   organization, a new GitHub repo will be created to host that project.
   4. The owners of each individual project will maintain the code repo of
   that project, including merging PRs, granting commit permissions to other
   contributors, publishing releases, etc.

*Note that this open GitHub org is NOT affiliated with ASF or the Apache
Flink project, although the volunteers who maintain the org may be Flink
committers or PMC members.*

*** What's next*
If people find the public GitHub org for the ecosystem projects useful, we
will do the following:

   1. Create the org together with the volunteers helping maintain the org.
   (PMC permission is required if the org name contains "Flink", which is
   likely).
   2. Welcome people to put their projects in the org as they see fit.
   3. Link the projects to flink-packages.org

To give some additional context, the following questions were raised and
answered in the earlier PMC discussion.
*** Why not host the projects in Apache?*
One suggestion brought up was asking the ecosystem project owners to
contribute their projects to Apache, either to an existing project such as
Apache Bahir, or through the incubator.

The ASF is a great place to host organization neutral projects. However,
being a part of an Apache project has a high standard and demands long term
commitments. People also have to be committers, use jira, mailing lists.
The projects might also have to go through incubation which is even more
involved.

Some of the ecosystem projects might not be ready to become a part of
Apache in some cases. The project may still be in the starting stage and
people don't know if it will last. Some of the projects may want more
flexible coordination, etc.

Therefore, an open GitHub organization would solve the issues mentioned in
the motivation with the least restrictions.

*** The relationship with flink-packages.org <http://flink-packages.org>*

As people may already know that we have a flink-packages.org website
listing the Flink ecosystem projects so users can easily find them. One
reasonable question is how the new open GitHub org relates to the website.

While flink-package.org aims to connect the project developers to the end
users, the GitHub org focuses on helping with the collaboration between
developers of the projects. The projects in the GitHub org will be linked
to and listed on the website.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin

Re: Create a public open GitHub org for Flink ecosystem projects.

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I am happy to let you know that the Flink PMC has granted the permission to
use *flink-extended* as the name of the GitHub organization.

This name was chosen because:
1. It is generic enough to host almost any ecosystem project of Flink.
2. The name is clear that the hosted projects aim to extend the capability
of Flink, and is not a part of Apache Flink.

This GitHub organization <https://github.com/flink-extended> has been
created and I will add a few projects to it shortly!

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guowei Ma <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Becket

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@ververica.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for driving this Becket, I like the idea and please feel free to
count me in as a maintainer (smile).

Best Regards,
Yu

Posted by Leonard Xu <xb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ingo,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, having some projects to start with makes
sense. We already have some projects that are going to be put there, for
example,  flink-ai-extended[1] will be split into two projects:
deep-learning-on-Flink and flink-ai-flow. There are some other projects
that have not been open sourced so far due to the issues I mentioned.
There are another two projects in our pipeline. One enables distributed
pandas on Flink. Another provides an external shuffle service for Flink.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin

[1] https://github.com/alibaba/flink-ai-extended/

Posted by Ingo Bürk <in...@ververica.com>.