Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by E Kolve <ek...@corp.classmates.com> on 2002/07/02 00:15:48 UTC

apache 1.3.26 reverse proxy

Has anyone noticed any performance problems using 1.3.26 as the front
end proxy to a backend mod_perl server?

I upgraded a box running apache 1.3.22 as the frontend proxy to 1.3.26.
  Prior to upgrading the load was ~2.0 - 3.0. After upgrading, the load
went up to around 21 - 25.  I then downgraded and the load went back to
normal.  Could this have anything to do with the changes to mod_proxy
between 1.3.22 and 1.3.26? Any ideas?

--eric

Re: apache 1.3.26 reverse proxy

Posted by Igor Sysoev <is...@rambler-co.ru>.
On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, E Kolve wrote:

> I was watching the apache scoreboard file and it appeared the the
> mod_perl process was not being immediately freed by the proxy.  Normally
> there will be 3 or 4 mod_perl procs in mode "W" Sending Reply, but after
> around 20 - 30 seconds on 1.3.26 as the proxy all 30 (that is my
> MaxClients for mod_perl) were in "W".  This seems like a problem with
> either the IOBufferSize that was recently added or possibly something to
> do with the proxy not releasing the mod_perl process once it has gotten
> the last byte...

You can try mod_accel. Incomplete English documentation is available here:
http://dapi.chaz.ru/articles/mod_accel.xml
Also feel free to ask me directly.

Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru

Re: apache 1.3.26 reverse proxy

Posted by Roger Pettett <rm...@sanger.ac.uk>.
Could this be a keepalive issue? I think keepalive support was fiddled
with in recent mod_proxies.

R.

Re: apache 1.3.26 reverse proxy

Posted by E Kolve <ek...@corp.classmates.com>.