Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Thomas Leavitt <th...@thomasleavitt.org> on 2006/01/01 09:46:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Baffling httpd problem: server randomly refuses to display index.html for a virtual domain

I'm running Apache 2.0.54 under Mandriva 2006.

I'm not an apache expert, but I've been running basic apache
installations for years. This is my first 2.0 installation, however.

The problem I'm having is that, in completely random fashion, for no
discernable reason, apache quits displaying "index.html" for one of the
virtual domains hosted on my server (out of a hundred). This has
happened to half a dozen domains over the past few months. Never more
than one domain at a time.

I can "fix" it by symlinking index.html to index.htm

When a problem is discovered with a new domain, I note that I'm able to
delete the symlink from other domains where the problem has manifested
itself without harm or the problem re-emerging with that domain.

I thought, somewhere, at some point, I saw an indirect reference to some
kind of side-effect from running some apache module... but persistent
Googling over several hours and deleting a bunch of modules and other
experimentation have not rid me of the problem. Nor has rebooting the
server.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone offer guidance on how to
troubleshoot and eliminate it? I'm completely baffled and frustrated at
this point.

Here are the apache rpms I have installed:

apache-mod_dosevasive-2.0.54_1.10-2mdk
apache-doc-2.0.54-2mdk
apache-mod_suexec-2.0.54-4mdk
apache-mod_disk_cache-2.0.54-13.1.20060mdk
apache-mod_deflate-2.0.54-13.1.20060mdk
apache-conf-2.0.54-12mdk
apache-base-2.0.54-13.1.20060mdk
apache-mod_php-2.0.54_5.1.0-0.RC1.1mdk
apache-modules-2.0.54-13.1.20060mdk
apache-mod_auth_mysql-2.0.54_2.9.0-3mdk
apache-mod_ssl+distcache-2.0.54-6mdk
apache-mod_cache-2.0.54-13.1.20060mdk
apache-mod_auth_external-2.0.54_2.2.9-3mdk
apache-mpm-prefork-2.0.54-13.1.20060mdk

I can post more detailed apache configuration info if anyone is
interested.

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt

Re: [users@httpd] Beginning Apache 2 setup

Posted by Robert Moskowitz <rg...@htt-consult.com>.
At 10:57 AM 1/1/2006, httpd2@karsites.net wrote:

>Have you sent up a directory container in your httpd.conf
>file to give apache access to the said directory?
>
>like:

thanks for the tips.  I suspect that I have to do ALL of this....

Posted by ht...@karsites.net.