Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/06/09 19:20:04 UTC

Re: [2.0 API] update to "apigen" script

> On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > This will sound pretty snippy, but I certainly hope not...
> >
> > You may actually want to _wait_ until the Apache Group decides
> > what it thinks before you decide to "take" Apache in the
> > direction you think it needs to go.
> >
> > I certainly wouldn't, for example, start a new sendmail configuration
> > file format and then, on the sendmail newsgroups and mailing
> > lists, start saying stuff like "Well, I'm almost done with my
> > sendmail.cf rewrite. How about a few comments and I can start
> > the server code changes. Eric, when do you think we can fold
> > this in??"
>
> .. jumping on a fence.
>
> It's good to have people keen to get their hands dirty and actually
> code something, however, from experience with Rob Thau's design and
> work on the existing API I think there's a lot to be gained from
> discussing things FIRST and implementing them later rather than the
> other way around.
>
> --
> Rob Hartill                              Internet Movie Database (Ltd)
> http://www.moviedatabase.com/   .. a site for sore eyes.

Good comments from everyone here. I am sure that Jim does not mean
to run anyone off and is mainly stepping forward and communicating
his thoughts. That's a Good Thing.

As Roy pointed out, we would like to avoid private sandboxes, but I
also see great benefit in code examples. I appreciate Ian's
initiative.