Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Joseph Kesselman/CAM/Lotus <jo...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/04/10 18:15:46 UTC

Expose schema datatype support?

Just a thought: It might be a Good Thing if Xerces exposed some of the data
validator classes (org.apache.xerces.impl.dv.xs) as a separate reusable
utility library, so other applications could take advantage of them.

Specific example: I'm in the process of prototyping schema support in Xalan
(since XPath2 calls for it), and it would be Really Nice if I could take
advantage of the work you've already done. But it wouldn't be appropriate
for Xalan to reach deep into Xerces' guts. I could swipe your code and copy
it into our package, but I'd much rather find some way for us, and others,
to share it.

(If this is available through the PSVI APIs, great... Ideally, I'd like
something that could be used independently of Xerces when a user wats to
run Xalan with a different parser, but I'd settle for doing it via PSVI for
now, since we currently need the PSVI prototype in order to get the schema
type info in the first place..)