Posted to users@maven.apache.org by mfs <fa...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/28 22:47:29 UTC

release plugin - BuildFailureException : The version could not be updated ?

Guys,

I am facing this issue with the usage of maven release plugin and would
really appreciate some suggestions/feedback...

So i have this product/project heirarchy as below which i am trying to
release using the maven-release plugin but am getting this exception
"BuildFailureException: The version could not be updated:
${PORTAL-A.VERSION}".. Just for info, i have defined the all the dependency
versions (as properties) in my root pom and these versions are being used
only in the dependencyManagement section, again in the root pom...

Portal Module (The root project in the hierarchy contains the dependency
version properties)
  --> Portal-A Sub-module (Module of "POM" type packaging and is an
aggregate of child modules as below)
        --> Portal-A-1
        --> Portal-A-2
        --> Portal-A-3
  --> Portal-B Sub-module (Module of "POM" type packaging and is an
aggregate of child modules as below)
        --> Portal-B-1
        --> Portal-B-2
        --> Portal-B-3

The property "PORTAL-A.VERSION" holds the version of one of the sub-module
OF THE PROJECT i am trying to release (i.e. PORTAL) like e.g. i also a
PORTAL-B.version and these as i mentioned above are being used in the
dependencyManagement section. Can anyone suggest as to whats going on ? Why
is this an issue ? I have tried use -DupdateDependencies=false so that i can
avoid this error and change the dependency versions myself (since i have it
at one common place and hence very trivial)....but that doesnt work too...

Just to add I know ${project.version} can serve the purpose as well, but i
would want to have a bit flexibility on the version usage (of the
sub-modules if need be e.g. have a different version of Portal-A and
Portal-B as a dependency) instead of being restricted to use one version of
the entire portal project (as a dependency)...

Please comment...

Using maven-2.0.7 but using 2.0.9 gives the same error...

Thanks in advance..

RE: release plugin - BuildFailureException : The version could not be updated ?

Posted by "Jeudy, Guillaume" <gj...@teksystems.com>.
You can use ${pom.version} in PORTAL.A and PORTAL.B projects. Don't interfere with release plugin, one of it's purpose is to manage the versions. So for example set 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT version on the parent pom and dont specify a version in the child modules just refer to parent 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT. You can use ${pom.version} in dependenciesManagement section in parent pom.

The release plugin will change parent pom version and child pom versions so no need for you to manage this.

This model works as long as the release cycle for your parent/child modules is the same.

In your model you could have indepedent release cycles for PORTAL.A and PORTAL.B projects. Then its up to you to manually manage dependencies between PORTAL.A and PORTAL.B but release plugin shouldnt give any errors at this point.

-Guillaume

[...]

This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic email or its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message (including any attachments) in its entirety. Thank you.