Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Viraf Bankwalla <vi...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/07 23:37:36 UTC

Workflow

Hi,

I noticed that there was a workflow component in the
commons sandbox.  I have read the proposal, and was
inquiring to see if there were more details.

Are we leveraging any existing work for this ?  Are we
basing it on any standards such as the WFMC ?

Thanks.

- viraf

Re: Workflow

Posted by bob mcwhirter <bo...@werken.com>.
> WFMC and friends are more appropriately used at what the Commons Workflow
> proposal calls the "Process" concept (which hasn't been fleshed out at all
> yet) than the "Activity" concept (which is focused on the lower level
> things).

Might want to check out the Savvion stuff.  Yes, it's commercial,
but we certainly have a history of 'borrowing' ideas from commercial
and other sources.

They have the concept of the asynch process, with a synch/interactive
activity UI.  All nicely coupled.

	-bob

Re: Calendar / Scheduler / Workflow

Posted by Kelvin Tan <ke...@relevanz.com>.
FWIW,

Fulcrum has a scheduler service which is an implementation of Unix's cron.

Regards,
Kelvin
Posted by James House <ja...@interobjective.com>.

Posted by Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 05:17:22AM -0800, Viraf Bankwalla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed requests on this list in reference to
> Workflow, Job Scheduler and Calendar capabilities.  I
> believe that Worklfow and Job Scheduler are part of
> commons.  Is anyone addressing the Calendar.

Didn't dig into it yet, but I see a "periodicity" project
in the sandbox that seemingly addresses what you are after.

incze

Re: Calendar / Scheduler / Workflow

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hey Jeff

Minor point - you might wanna remove the xerces.jar from periodicity CVS -
most commons projects use the build.properties[.sample] approach to locating
dependent jars. I found using one of the existing build.xml files helped -
like the build from commons-digester in commons proper.

James

Posted by Jeff Prickett <pr...@shpimp.com>.

Re: Workflow

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Viraf Bankwalla wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:31:38 -0800 (PST)
> From: Viraf Bankwalla <vi...@yahoo.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Workflow
>
> Hi,
>
> I am still not clear on the distinction being made
> between the Process and Workflow engines.

I'm actually distinguishing between the
org.apache.commons.workflow.Process interface (which doesn't exist yet)
and the org.apache.commons.workflow.Activity interface (which does, and
has a couple of different implementations available.

>  I was also
> wondering you are referring to
> jakarta-commons-sandbox\workflow\PROPOSAL.html when
> you refer to Proposal (as I did not see a reference to
> process).  If not, could you please refer me to the
> correct Workflow and Process proposals.

A more in depth background discussion is available at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/proposal-workflow.html

because being able to script a series of Struts Actions was one of my
primary motivations.

> Based on my understanding of WfMC, a Workflow is made
> up of Activities.  An activity may be "manual" or
> "automatic".  Manual activities are synchronous - i.e.
> they involve users.  Both should be part of a
> workflow.
>
> So in a sense a WorkFlow definition (XML) is the
> script that ties the processes.  In addition, there is
> noting to prevent an Activity to be a script itself.
>
> I am interested in what you call Wizards and how you
> see them working.

If you download the source of the Workflow package, you can use the
"compile.wizard" and "deploy.wizard" targets to create a very simple demo
of this approach, in a way that only relies on servlet and JSP APIs (it is
not specific to Struts).

This demo was written before the introduction of conditional steps, so it
uses "goto" for flow control -- but you can get a feel for where I've been
thinking from this.

> Thanks.
>
> - viraf

Craig

Re: Workflow

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Thursday, February 7, 2002, at 04:31  PM, Viraf Bankwalla wrote:

> I am still not clear on the distinction being made
> between the Process and Workflow engines.  I was also
> wondering you are referring to
> jakarta-commons-sandbox\workflow\PROPOSAL.html when
> you refer to Proposal (as I did not see a reference to
> process).

The Javadocs have good descriptions and it's in there
where you'll find mention of "process".

-Eric

Re: Workflow

Posted by Viraf Bankwalla <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Re: Workflow

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Viraf Bankwalla wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:37:36 -0800 (PST)
> From: Viraf Bankwalla <vi...@yahoo.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Workflow
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that there was a workflow component in the
> commons sandbox.  I have read the proposal, and was
> inquiring to see if there were more details.
>
> Are we leveraging any existing work for this ?  Are we
> basing it on any standards such as the WFMC ?

Hello Viraf,

I looked at WFMC and a couple of the other "high level" standards for this
sort of thing before designing the Workflow component.  They didn't really
address the sort of "low level" things that I was interested in scripting,
which tend to be synchronous, short duration, and executed by a single
individual.  In particular, I wanted to be able to script things like a
"wizard" dialog in web applications, where you had to interact with the
user across multiple HTTP requests, which required the ability to suspend
and resume execution of the script.

WFMC and friends are more appropriately used at what the Commons Workflow
proposal calls the "Process" concept (which hasn't been fleshed out at all
yet) than the "Activity" concept (which is focused on the lower level
things).

> Thanks.
>
> - viraf

Craig