Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> on 2017/03/18 04:55:43 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Drop PDF / texinfo documentation builds

Hi everyone,

I'd like to propose dropping the PDF and texinfo targets from our
documentation build, or at the very least, having them not be part of
the default target / not standard deliverables for the project.

We'd continue to build HTML documentation as part of the workflow,
naturally, as well as the man pages.

I don't have any solid numbers, but I'm fairly sure most people use
https://docs.couchdb.org/ or a locally installed copy for their
documentation for CouchDB rather than the PDF documentation. I
personally can't remember the last time I opened the docs in PDF form. I
also have never seen anyone refer to the PDF docs on the mailing lists,
IRC or Slack when asking for advice or support.

I've also never seen anyone use or talk about the texinfo target, and
I've not used them myself.

Dropping this dependency will allow us to drop TeX/LaTeX from our build
chain, which speeds up build times by about 90 seconds and reduces the
size of containers currently being built for our Jenkins CI workflow.
It also means CouchDB devs don't have to install 0.5-1.5GB worth of
toolset.

I've captured this in JIRA as
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-3329 and have PRs ready
to fire off if people agree.

Your thoughts?

-Joan

Re: [PROPOSAL] Drop PDF / texinfo documentation builds

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@skunkwerks.at>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Thanks everyone. I figured there would be universal agreement.

PRs are live.

-Joan

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
+1. Please use fire.

Posted by Robert Kowalski <ro...@kowalski.gd>.
good idea, +1

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ma...@jan.io>.
+1

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Katharina,

No, that is not the case. readthedocs.org (which hosts docs.couchdb.org
for us) still auto-builds PDF and EPUB documentation. You'll still
have access to that for as long as readthedocs.org sticks around (and
as long as we continue to use them to host our online docs, which is
for the foreseeable future). No worries!

This just means that PDF (and EPUB, incidentally) is not automatically
built as part of our /internal/ release process -- and not built
automatically as part of our /testing/ procedure.

If you're downloading the CouchDB documentaiton from source, you can
still build PDFs by running

  make pdf

though it sounds like you're not working with our source directly.

And yes, we're trying to increase the velocity of our project ;)

Best,
Joan

Posted by Katharina Hößel <k....@mailbox.org>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.