Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> on 2012/03/06 00:37:54 UTC

[REVIEW] Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Mar 2012

Mentors, colleagues, etc: pls review the board report:

https://github.com/cordova/apache-board-reports/blob/master/2012-03.md

Re: [REVIEW] Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Mar 2012

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
> It's taking a bit longer than expected to produce an official Apache
> release of Cordova. What do you feel are (and have been) the biggest
> problems along the way?

Oh just the usual overconfidence and optimism of a software developer! =)

I do find the Apache documentation a little scattered and verbose.

> AFAICT at least the IP review part has been a bit complicated. Do you
> think better documentation of the requirements, more active
> involvement by us mentors, or something else could have helped here?

Our mentors have been super responsive and helpful so I couldn't ask
for more there. Better docs would be the biggest thing in my mind.

> Do you think some of the requirements were too strict and should
> perhaps be challenged? Other feedback on how we could make the process
> smoother?

No, I like the formality of a release. I would not challenge this part
of the Apache practice though I would encourage more cadence be a part
of The Apache Way. Regular releases are absolutely a driver for
adoption and confidence in our committers.

> Another area of some confusion are the packaging and distribution bits
> that especially Steven was looking at. The related ASF documentation
> is arguably a bit fragmented and at times perhaps too verbose.

Yup

> Similarly to the above questions, any ideas on how we could/should
> simplify these things?

Actually, and I have no idea how we can do this, I think Apache could
really use a solid IxD/UX person fulltime rework the docs to the
benefit of all. The information is all there but parsing it is the
tricky part.

Re: [REVIEW] Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Mar 2012

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:
> fixed. committed to wiki. still need mentor sign off
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2012

Looks good, thanks! Signed off.

It's taking a bit longer than expected to produce an official Apache
release of Cordova. What do you feel are (and have been) the biggest
problems along the way?

AFAICT at least the IP review part has been a bit complicated. Do you
think better documentation of the requirements, more active
involvement by us mentors, or something else could have helped here?
Do you think some of the requirements were too strict and should
perhaps be challenged? Other feedback on how we could make the process
smoother?

Another area of some confusion are the packaging and distribution bits
that especially Steven was looking at. The related ASF documentation
is arguably a bit fragmented and at times perhaps too verbose.
Similarly to the above questions, any ideas on how we could/should
simplify these things?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [REVIEW] Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Mar 2012

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.