Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Антон Смирнов <4n...@mail.ru> on 2012/03/16 12:44:06 UTC

Android app

Hi everybody.
I'd like to take part in OpenMeetings project as android-developer.
Few words about myself: my name is Anton Smirnov and i am professional
j2ee and now Android developer for last 4 years (10+ years overall).
I am going to start my participation from java/android projects overview (both libraries and apps)
that we can use or take part in order to provide android compatibility for OpenMeetings server-side.
Since android platform is based on Java with native code support via JNI i will focus
on pure Java/Android or native code (C, C++) products with Java bindings.
SIP libs/api
============

1. Sun J2ME (November 2004)
Since OpenMeetings server side is java-based and probably most of you are familiar with that, i will leave here just few links:
 A very good article on "Sip for J2ME" can be found on http://developers.sun.com/mobility/apis/articles/sip/.
 You can found brief history of sip in Java (JSP artifacts can be found on http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=180) there.
 http://java.sun.com/products/jain/SIP-and-Java.html
 http://developers.sun.com/mobility/apis/articles/sip/

2. jsip - sip implementation (RFC 3261) for java (started Aug 1999)
 project page : http://jsip.java.net/
 jcp events : http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=32
 A goog article and usage example can be found here (with instant messaging example) : http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/entarch/introduction-jain-sip-090386.html

 Now the lib is build on CI server : http://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/view/Mobicents/job/jain-sip/

3. Android: (Dec 2010)
 Since "Gingerbread" (API 10) Android release SIP API is available.

 It provides SIP-related classes which let us opportunity to add basic SIP features in android application.

 Audio streaming support, no video support in example (but video is said to be supported)

 Dev guide: http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/network/sip.html
 Demo app is available in android sdk examples

SIP-clients
============
Few SIP android clients can be found on Google Android Market (now Google Play), a brief overview.
Each of them has both good and bad feedbacks and probably a big part of issues are hardware-specific
as most of them have plugins and codecs written in native code with Java-bindings.
Video/audio formats which are supported in Android out-of-box:
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html
1. Sipdroid
 --------
 Open-source, GPL3
 Android-only
 High activity on project, 33 commiters
 not based on android api
500k - 1m downloads, average rating (4.0/5)
 project : http://sipdroid.org/
 google play : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sipdroid.sipua
2. 3cxPhone
 --------
 Proprietary, free
 Cross-platform

 100k-500k downloads, high rating (3.9/5)

 google play : ttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tcx.sip.ui
4. CSipSimple
 ----------
 Open-source, GPL
 Android-only
 high code rating, 3 commiters + 4 contributors

 based on native(C) SIP implementation + Java bindings
 (http://www.pjsip.org/, http://sourceforge.net/projects/pjsip-jni/)
 Good users support and developers documentation (including android build instructions, both native and android)

 100k-500k downloads, everage rating (4.4/5)

 project : http://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/
 goolge play : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.csipsimple

5. MobileVoIP
 ----------
 Proprietary, free
 Cross-platform

 500k - 1m downloads, below average users rating (3.7/5)
 google play : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=finarea.MobileVoip

6. HQ Video SIP/IMS client
 -----------------------
 Proprietary, free

 100k-500k downloads, low users rating (2.5/5)

 google play : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.doubango.imsdroid

7. Nimbuzz Messenger
 ------------------
 Proprietary, free

 1m - 5m downloads, average users rating (4./5)
 google play : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nimbuzz

8. Linphone
 --------
 Open-source, cross-platform
100k - 500k downloads, average users rating (3.9/5)

 project : http://www.linphone.org/
 sources : http://www.linphone.org/eng/download/git.html
 google play : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.linphone

 Most clients have (audio,video) codecs (native code) + Java-bindings
 as android support only few
RTMP libs
==========
The voice and video stream communications in SIP applications are carried over another application protocol, the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP), f.e. RTMP.
1. https://github.com/mogo29/Android-RTMP
 Open-source

 small lib with no 3rd party dependencies
 still in development, audio only

2. http://code.google.com/p/android-rtmp-client/
 Open-source, Apache 2.0 license
depends on Red5 sources:
 Open-source, LGPL
 project : http://code.google.com/p/red5/
 sources : http://red5.googlecode.com/svn/java/server/trunk

 usage example : http://code.google.com/p/android-recorder/
3. flazr
 -----
 Open-source, GPL3
 Very good user developer feedbacks

 project : http://www.flazr.com/, http://sourceforge.net/projects/flazr/
4. rtmpdump
 --------
 open-source, GPL2
 native code + Android bindings

 project : http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/

5. aftek
 -----
 Proprietary, commercial
 evaluation version is available (but 'Service Temporarily Unavailable')

 description : http://www.aftek.com/afteklab/aftek-RTMP-library.shtml
 slides : http://www.slideshare.net/aftekandroid/android-rtmp-client-3464514

6. juv
 ---
 Proprietary, commercial
 evaluation version is available

 description : http://www.smaxe.com/juvclient.jsf

I think that we should contribute to one of existing open-source projects (Sipdroid, Linphone, CSipSimple)
in order to provide android client for OpenMeetings platform. For this we should specify required and appreciated client app features.

What do you think about it?

Re: Android app

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Timur has just committed SIP docs