Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by "Knick, Scott E CTR USARMY RCERT-EUR (US)" <sc...@mail.mil> on 2012/11/30 13:38:55 UTC

RE: generation code (method definition) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

I think he's suggesting that what you're trying to do is something that doesn't align with the intrinsic purpose of what Thrift does.

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

> I should add in my code the validator() method (third party method of
> a class) in all my "service" ..... is there a way to automatize this ?
> is there the possibility to generate the definition as well ?
and
> something that doesn't align with the intrinsic purpose of what Thrift
> does.

Yes, exactly. In my opinion this is slighly beyond the scope of Thrift.

>       service UserStorage {
>         void store(1: UserProfile user),
>         UserProfile retrieve(1: i32 uid)
>       }
> I have in my Thrift definition file a lot of service in which they
> have to call a method (let´s say that the retrieve method have to call
> the validator(this) method)  .....

I'm not sure if we are talking about client or server end here. In either
case, the first approach that comes to my mind would be to encapsulate all
the calls to/from the API into another layer that takes care of the
validator() calls. The layer is located between the Thrift API
implementation and the rest of the application logic, where it can do
whatever he wants to do with the data structures that flow through. This
method could work pretty much the same way with clients or servers, whatever
you need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facade_pattern

JensG