Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Pierre Antoine DuBoDeNa <pa...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/15 22:22:05 UTC

use hdfs as normal file system?

Hello,

I have installed hdfs to use it with hadoop and hbase. I am wondering if i
can use it as a normal file system too that just connects several HDDs ?

For example i can see the files i have stored through the webinterface
(browse filesystem) or with the dfs commands. However if I go to the exact
location in the hdfs directory there is nothing. Everything is stored in an
"hdfs format".

Is it possible to go to /app/hadoop/tmp/data/text.txt for example in some
way? Can i use it in such way?

I just want to avoid to install NFS servers as i already have in place
hdfs.

Best,
PA

Re: use hdfs as normal file system?

Posted by Pierre Antoine DuBoDeNa <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply!! This is the only think i found related on the web..
but i don't see much "support" let's say for it.. so i am not sure if it's
the best choice..

What kind of issues you get in your company? (What company? if i may ask..
I mean I deal with scientific documents mostly.. the files most of the time
will be "static" we just have to read them several times to apply
algorithms").

Posted by Ruslan Al-Fakikh <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pierre,