Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by dan lahey <dl...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/03 17:56:06 UTC

mod_jk socket_timeout setting

I'm using apache 2.2.11, mod_jk 1.2.28, and jboss as my application server.
I wrote an Apache module which worked fine in my local environment.
When I moved to integration though I saw a 502 error.
The cause appeared to be that the socket_timeout setting for the workers was
set to 2.

My co-worker and I are disagreeing over what the socket_timeout directive
does.
I used wireshark and it looked like the actual body response had to come
back within that certain time.
If it didn't then a retry was done. If the body response still didn't come
back then the 502 appeared.

My co-worker says though that the socket_timeout directive is only for the
tcp handshake.
It looked like to me it actually was for the body response.

Can someone please verify what that directive does?

Thank you for your time,
Dan

RE: mod_jk socket_timeout setting

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: dan lahey [mailto:dlahey317@gmail.com]
> Subject: mod_jk socket_timeout setting
>
> I used wireshark and it looked like the actual body response had to
> come back within that certain time.
>
> My co-worker says though that the socket_timeout directive is only for
> the tcp handshake.

Unlikely, since that's pretty much invisible to user code.

> Can someone please verify what that directive does?

I can't really answer that, but I can quote previous responses from Rainer:

"Don't use socket_timeout.  Use version 1.2.28 and socket_connect_timeout."

http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=125897176719328&w=2

More information:

http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=125675257720614&w=2

And more detail:

"socket_timeout is a difficult beast and I generally do not recommend using it. mod_jk uses it in some special situations in order to be able to abort waiting for data. It is not directly 'how long a socket will be kept open'. How long a socket is kept open depends on how the socket gets used.

"Usually you can get away pretty good using CPing and ping_timeout, socket_connect_timeout, eventually reply_timeout with max_reply_timeouts."

http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=125663788907668&w=2

 - Chuck