Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> on 2015/09/03 09:55:02 UTC

code cleanup vs backports

Hi there,

I recently had to backport stuff, and it turned out to be harder than it
should have been. This was caused by code cleanup changes that weren't
backported and thus caused merge conflicts.

Now code cleanup is a good thing, and it needs to be done, for
performance, robustness, clarity etc.

I'd like to suggest a few rules that we hopefully can agree on:

1) By any means do code cleanup, but try to avoid commits that span
unrelated parts of the code; when done, see whether the change can
easily be ported back into previous branches in order to avoid
unnecessary code divergence.

2) Resist the temptation of combining bug fixes with stylistic changes
(formatting, use of "final", etc) in other places of the code; this
makes it unnecessarily hard to see what actually changed. In doubt, make
two separate commits and label them accordingly.

Best regards, Julian