Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@stefan.haischt.name> on 2003/08/11 04:22:31 UTC

[PYTHON-BINDINGS] compiling FreeBSD port with svn bindings

hello,

i just installed the subversion (0.26) FreeBSD (5.0/i386)
port. because i want to use the svn module of ViewCVS i
tried to compile the FreeBSD port the --with-swig set to
yes (the default value is set to know). additionally i had
to recompile the Apache HTTPD port (2.0.47) because the
apr/apr-util binaries were compiled without thread support.

while Apache is running fine with thread support i am still
unable to compile subversion against the recompiled apr
binary because of the following error message.

------8<------------8<------------8<-------------8<--------
cd subversion/clients/cmdline && /bin/sh
/usr/ports/devel/subversion/work/subversion-0.26.0/libtool --silent
--mode=link cc  -O -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro   -pthread  -DNEON_ZLIB
-DNEON_SSL  -L/usr/local/lib  -rpath /usr/local/lib -o svn add-cmd.o
cat-cmd.o checkout-cmd.o cleanup-cmd.o commit-cmd.o copy-cmd.o
delete-cmd.o diff-cmd.o export-cmd.o feedback.o help-cmd.o import-cmd.o
info-cmd.o log-cmd.o ls-cmd.o main.o merge-cmd.o mkdir-cmd.o move-cmd.o
prompt.o propdel-cmd.o propedit-cmd.o propget-cmd.o proplist-cmd.o
props.o propset-cmd.o resolve-cmd.o revert-cmd.o status-cmd.o status.o
switch-cmd.o update-cmd.o util.o
../../../subversion/libsvn_client/libsvn_client-1.la
../../../subversion/libsvn_wc/libsvn_wc-1.la
../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/libsvn_ra-1.la
../../../subversion/libsvn_delta/libsvn_delta-1.la
../../../subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libaprutil-0.la -lldap -llber -lexpat
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.la -lm -lcrypt -L/usr/local/lib -lneon
-lssl -lcrypto -lz -L/usr/local/lib -lexpat
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to
`pthread_attr_init'
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to `pthread_exit'
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to `pthread_equal'
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to `pthread_detach'
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to
`pthread_attr_getdetachstate'
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to
`pthread_attr_setdetachstate'
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to `pthread_join'
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to
`pthread_cond_timedwait'
/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to `sigwait'
*** Error code 1
------>8------------>8------------>8------------->8--------

can you give me any pointers what is going wrong or how to
compile subversion with the --with-swig option set to yes?

regards

daniel s. haischt

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name> writes:
>

>>/usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
>>
>>can you give me any pointers what is going wrong or how to
>>compile subversion with the --with-swig option set to yes?
>

> The swig-py bindings require APR threads, but on FreeBSD, APR disables
> threads by default.  You need to make sure APR is configured with the
> --enable-threads option.

Actually, gstein, jerenkrantz, and myself discussed this at OSCON, and
came up with a way to make it work without apr threads, something about
requiring us to pick up the python interpreter lock when entering
subversion code if we don't have threads turned on in apr (since all
subversion calls are potentially not thread safe in that case).

I don't think anyone has gotten around to implementing this, but it
seems like this problem can be made to go away in the near future.

-garrett

Re: [PYTHON-BINDINGS] compiling FreeBSD port with svn bindings

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Sander Striker wrote:

> [...]

Ah!  cool, I didn't know he had gotten around to it.

-garrett

> > /usr/local/lib/apache2/libapr-0.so: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
> >
> > can you give me any pointers what is going wrong or how to
> > compile subversion with the --with-swig option set to yes?
>
> The swig-py bindings require APR threads, but on FreeBSD, APR disables
> threads by default.  You need to make sure APR is configured with the
> --enable-threads option.

No.  Not anymore.  Justin fixed the python bindings to not require
a threaded apr.

Sander

Re: [PYTHON-BINDINGS] compiling FreeBSD port with svn bindings

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.