Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by "Ersek, Laszlo" <la...@caesar.elte.hu> on 2010/05/27 19:54:33 UTC

docs bug? "rolling.RollingFileAppender" has no "MaxBackupIndex"

Hi,

I'm trying to create a log4j config where rotation is triggered by file
size, an rotation includes compression. Browsing the docs and the config
DTD, my purpose seems achievable with rolling.RollingFileAppender +
SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy + TimeBasedRollingPolicy. (The latter is only
needed because it seems to be the only rolling policy that supports
compression out of the box.)

Hence I created a config file for the DOM configurator. In fact, I'm
converting an older config file which was written for the property
configurator. The old configuration used the original (not extras)
RollingFileAppender. I'm having trouble converting the MaxBackupIndex
property of that older class. Any MaxBackupIndex seem to make no sense for
the new rolling.RollingFileAppender, since that one requires an explicit
rolling policy.

My problem is that the API docs do talk about MaxBackupIndex, in the
description of rollover():

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/RollingFileAppender.html

I downloaded apache-log4j-extras-1.0.tar.gz and tried to look at the code
(src/main/java/org/apache/log4j/rolling/RollingFileAppender.java). It
appears to me that the class has indeed no business with any
MaxBackupIndex -- the only mentions are in the leading comment of
rollover() (which is probably the source of the javadoc occurrences too).

I checked the bugzilla with "Product: Log4j, Summary: maxbackupindex", and
it only returned #24407, which is irrelevant here ("large maxbackupindex
makes RollingFileAppender dread slow").

So is this a documentation bug?

... Furthermore, now that I'm looking at the source of
FixedWindowRollingPolicy, it does seem to support gzip compression. Its
description doesn't mention it though (while that of its sibling class
TimeBasedRollingPolicy does):

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/TimeBasedRollingPolicy.html
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/FixedWindowRollingPolicy.html

so I think people are led to believe that only TimeBasedRollingPolicy
supports compression. Is this another documentation bug?

In closing, thank you very much for this great software!

Cheers,
lacos