Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2003/01/06 13:32:00 UTC

RFC: Going to Servlet API 2.3+? [Was: Re: New SessionService....]

"Quinton McCombs" <qm...@nequalsone.com> writes:

>BTW - This added a dependency on servletapi-2.3.  It is already in the
>ibiblio repository though....

I'm all +1 on going to Servlet API 2.3. But this is something for
Turbine 2.3. Not for 2.2.1.

After all, Servlet API 2.3 is here for ages and 2.4 is in proposed
final draft. And there is _lots_ of code we can remove, once we kick
pre-2.3 Servlet API.

	Regards
		Henning

Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

Re: RFC: Going to Servlet API 2.3+? [Was: Re: New SessionService....]

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

>"Quinton McCombs" <qm...@nequalsone.com> writes:
>

>>BTW - This added a dependency on servletapi-2.3.  It is already in the
>>ibiblio repository though....
>>

>I'm all +1 on going to Servlet API 2.3. But this is something for
>Turbine 2.3. Not for 2.2.1.

+1

martin

Posted by Colin Chalmers <co...@maxware.nl>.
Was this not the whole idea behind Fulcrum?

/c

Posted by Stephen Haberman <st...@beachead.com>.
On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 01:08:17PM +0100, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
> While I'm quite agnostic, I'd like to see at least the basic things like
> Cache and Factory being bundled with Turbine or in a "Turbine Service
> Pack" (pun intended. ;-) ) If everyone wanting to use Turbine must put
> 20+ jars you need everytime in your POM, this will start to get a)
> annoying and b) drive people away.

I think that's a great idea unless Maven comes up with a way to
solve it for us.

I would hope that eventually with all of the pom
inheritance/extension stuff they're doing (or were doing, I haven't
been lurking on their mailing list for awhile now), that instead of
just jar dependencies you could have project dependencies, e.g.
putting 'turbine-2.3' as a project, not jar, dependency in your
project.xml, it would automatically go out to ibiblio and pull down
all of the associated jars.

(Perhaps now it could be done by inheriting from a single turbine
project.xml, but it would be nice to be able to bulk include jars
from various projects, hence making a given project a dependency
instead of inheriting from it and avoiding multiple inheritance).

This would be more elegant and cut down even more on the amount of
jars Turbine Service Pack would save us from manually listing in
poms, but would require some nifty processing (like versioning
conflict resolution) on Maven's end.

- Stephen

Re: RFC: Going to Servlet API 2.3+? [Was: Re: New SessionService....]

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Huh,

that Mail got drowned in my "apache" folder between all these "wiki
notification" messages from community@ ... =:-)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> writes:

>Hullo Fulcrum.

:-)

Re: Turbine Roadmap?!?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at> writes:

>It would be good to have a roadmap for Turbine > 2.2

>Turbine 2.3
>- the Services should stay as they are

>- Turbine should be able to use avalon components
>    - Torque should be loaded as an avalon component

The Component Service should be able to use Avalon Components. Not the
Turbine Service Broker itself. This would be much too heavy.

>Turbine 2.3+
>- The services should be avalon components

Yes.

>   - fulcrum or plexus??

Neither nor? The Fulcrum Service Broker is (except the class names)
the same as the current CVS HEAD Service Broker from Turbine (IMHO I
copied all the relevant parts).

We'd have to take a much closer look at Plexus to see whether this is
what we need and Jason told us (if I remember correctly) that "Plexus
is not ready for prime time and he prefers to develop off-Jakarta". So
in the end it might be Jasons' call. I don't want to simply drag this
code out of his CVS if he doesn't feel it is ready to do so.

>We should decide what will become turbine 3.0!

Definitely. Or Turbine Next Generation (hey, it would be TNG! %-) )

>Will the current turbine-3 code ever be released?

Don't know.

>Will Plexus/Summit replace the existing Turbine code?
>   yes? when will this happen?

Why should it? Lets' call it Plexus/Summit and the Turbine Code
"Turbine".  We just had a message on community@apache.org about
"cross-pollination". I liked it.

	Regards
		Henning

Turbine Roadmap?!?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> "Quinton McCombs" <qm...@nequalsone.com> writes:
>
> >BTW - This added a dependency on servletapi-2.3.  It is already in the
> >ibiblio repository though....
>
> I'm all +1 on going to Servlet API 2.3. But this is something for
> Turbine 2.3. Not for 2.2.1.
>
> After all, Servlet API 2.3 is here for ages and 2.4 is in proposed
> final draft. And there is _lots_ of code we can remove, once we kick
> pre-2.3 Servlet API.

I agree that this change doesn't have any business in 2.2.1.

Not having looked closely at the code, I assume that the compile-time and
run-time dependencies are specific to the new service.  That is, one could
compile with Servlet API 2.3, then run with Servlet API 2.2 so long as
SessionService wasn't used.  Putting a 2.3 dependency into the core of
Turbine would bear quite a bit more discussion, but putting such a
dependency into a single service seems fine.

- Dan