Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Fred R." <fr...@sourcetechcorp.com> on 2000/05/05 17:56:58 UTC

problem using custom tags

Hi,

I've developed a sample custom tag library and I'm trying to deploy it
on tomcat. But tomcat doesn't seem to be able to find the tld file. I
get the error :

Unable to open taglibrary
http://www.someurl.com/sampletags/sampletags-taglib : Parse Error in the
tag library descriptor: Element type "WEB-APP" is not declared.

Here is how I set things up:

web.xml for a sample app contains:
<WEB-APP>
   <TAGLIB>

<TAGLIB-URI>http://www.someurl.com/sampletags/sampletags-taglib</TAGLIB-URI>

<TAGLIB-LOCATION>/WEB-INF/tlds/sampletags-taglib.tld</TAGLIB-LOCATION>
   </TAGLIB>
    .
    .
    .
<WEB-APP>

the jsp page has this directive:
<%@ taglib uri="http://www.someurl.com/sampletags/sampletags-taglib"
prefix="st" %>

this is the content of the sampletags-taglib.tld and this file is in
WEB-INF\tlds
<!DOCTYPE taglib
        PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD JSP Tag Library 1.1//EN"
 "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd">

<taglib>
    <tlibversion>1.0</tlibversion>
    <jspversion>1.1</jspversion>
    <shortname>st</shortname>
    <info>A Sample Tag library</info>
    <urn></urn>
    <tag>
        <name>ACustomTag</name>
        <tagclass>sampletags.ACustomTag</tagclass>
        <bodycontent>empty</bodycontent>
        <info>A Tag to do  something</info>
        <attribute>
           <name>displayFormat</name>
           <required>false</required>
           <rtexprvalue>false</rtexprvalue>
        </attribute>
    </tag>
</taglib>

TIA,

--
Fred R

Re: problem using custom tags

Posted by Dave Boyer <db...@ecal.com>.
I believe that the error message indicates that it does not recognize the
<WEB-APP> element....
I think capitalization matters...
If this is the actual code from your web-xml file, try making all tags in this
file lower-case.

I don't know for sure though, just a guess.