Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nix <ni...@esperi.org.uk> on 2020/06/12 14:01:11 UTC

Re: UTF-7 emails

On 5 May 2020, Bill Cole outgrape:

> Apparently Evolution supports UTF-7 and can be set to use it with the
> user being unaware of it.

Probably user error -- UTF-7 is right below UTF-8 in the list of
encodings supported by the composer, so it's easy to aim for UTF-8, hit
UTF-7 and whoops...

Re: UTF-7 emails

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 15:01:11 +0100
Nix wrote:

> On 5 May 2020, Bill Cole outgrape:
>
> > Apparently Evolution supports UTF-7 and can be set to use it with
> > the user being unaware of it.
>
> Probably user error -- UTF-7 is right below UTF-8 in the list of
> encodings supported by the composer, so it's easy to aim for UTF-8,
> hit UTF-7 and whoops...

Personally I don't think it matters much as far as SpamAssassin is
concerned. I've never received a legitimate email in UTF-7, if I saw it
in spam I'd be happy to give it a hefty score.

If it turns out that Evolution has a particularly problem it can be
excluded easily enough with:

  User-Agent =~  /^Evolution\b/

Re: UTF-7 emails

Posted by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 12 Jun 2020, at 08:01, Nix <ni...@esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On 5 May 2020, Bill Cole outgrape:
>> Apparently Evolution supports UTF-7 and can be set to use it with the user being unaware of it.
>
> Probably user error -- UTF-7 is right below UTF-8 in the list of encodings supported by the composer, so it's easy to aim for UTF-8, hit UTF-7 and whoops…

I don’t use Evolution, but I have heard complaints of it “falling back” to UTF-7 instead of UTF-8 in some cases.

The solution seems to be to make sure it is set specifically to UTF-8 and not to something like LATIN-1.