Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ben Souther <bp...@adelphia.net> on 2004/02/01 14:39:27 UTC

Re: response.sendRedirect problem in Tomcat 5.0.18

You'll need to structure your code so that you either write to the out stream
or perform a sendRedirect.  There has never been a version of Tomcat that
would allow otherwise.  This is the same in PHP, ASP, and I imagine any other
web scripting language.

A sendRedirect does nothing more than send back a bodyless header with a
"Location: url"  parameter.

You can't send a header once you've started writing to the body of the
message.  You also can't write to the body after sending a redirect (which is
why you need to add a "return" statement just after the redirect).