Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Martin Gmür <ma...@uidesign.de> on 2007/06/19 17:14:16 UTC

FOPNGSerializer

Hi,

somebody still tried to use the FOPNG Serializer to generate PDF?

(output.xmap of the pdf-plugin:
<map:serializer name="fo2pdf"
src="org.apache.cocoon.blocks.fop.FOPNGSerializer"
mime-type="application/pdf" />)

I only found a short thread within Cocoon-Community:
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@cocoon.apache.org/msg38756.html

Are there any experiences to integrate this Serializer to Forrest?
I've found no starting point what is to do.

Kind regards

Martin Gmuer

--
User Interface Design GmbH, Ludwigsburg, Germany
Phone +49 7141 37700-87, Fax +49 7141 377 00-99

Offices:
Teinacher Strasse 38, D-71634 Ludwigsburg
Truderinger Strasse 330, D-81825 Muenchen
Friedrichsring 46, D-68161 Mannheim

Legal information according to EHUG:
User Interface Design GmbH; Managing Directors: Dr. Claus Goerner,
Franz Koller; Head office: Ludwigsburg; Commercial register of the
local court of Stuttgart, Germany, HRB 205519

Re: FOPNGSerializer (Update Forrest to FOP-0.9)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Martin Gm?r schrieb:
>
> We're trying to improve the forrest PDF output (see below),
> most notably resolve
>   FOR-413: "PDF: rendering fails when graphics too big"
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-413
>
> Our first step would be to update Forrest so as to use the new
> FOP-0.9 rendering engine, i.e. FOP-NG and hope that some of the
> long-standing PDF bugs go away (e.g. [1,2,3])
>
> It seems that this could be achieved by "simply" replacing the
> serialiser [5].
>
> We installed and built Cocoon (2.2 as used by Forrest ?!) but did
> not find the FOP-NG jars (learning Maven, still).
>
> Does anybody know how to build (these) specific jars?
> And then: how to integrate into Forrest?
> Is it really just replacing the jars and adding "NG" as hinted in [5]?

Hello Johannes, great to hear from you.
Lets hope we can get your PDF stuff integrated.

See my reply to Martin earlier in this thread
wherein i explained our Cocoon version situation.

Our Cocoon is not up-to-date so we cannot include
the more recent Cocoon fop Block.

-David

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.
Martin Gmür schrieb:
> Hi,

We're trying to improve the forrest PDF output (see below),
most notably resolve
  FOR-413: "PDF: rendering fails when graphics too big"
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-413

Our first step would be to update Forrest so as to use the new
FOP-0.9 rendering engine, i.e. FOP-NG and hope that some of the
long-standing PDF bugs go away (e.g. [1,2,3])

It seems that this could be achieved by "simply" replacing the
serialiser [5].

We installed and built Cocoon (2.2 as used by Forrest ?!) but did
not find the FOP-NG jars (learning Maven, still).

Does anybody know how to build (these) specific jars?
And then: how to integrate into Forrest?
Is it really just replacing the jars and adding "NG" as hinted in [5]?

Thanks,
Johannes

--
User Interface Design GmbH, Ludwigsburg, Germany
Phone/Fax  +49 7141 37700-46/-99, Mobile +49 170 4914567

Re: FOPNGSerializer

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Martin Gm?r wrote:

> somebody still tried to use the FOPNG Serializer to generate PDF?
>
> (output.xmap of the pdf-plugin:
> <map:serializer name="fo2pdf"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.blocks.fop.FOPNGSerializer"
> mime-type="application/pdf" />)
>
> I only found a short thread within Cocoon-Community:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/users@cocoon.apache.org/msg38756.html
>
> Are there any experiences to integrate this Serializer to Forrest?
> I've found no starting point what is to do.

You would need to upgrade Forrest's packaged Cocoon
and include a new Cocoon FOP block into Forrest's lib/core

However, beware that we are stuck with an old
version of Cocoon 2.2 trunk. That new FOP stuff is
probably more recent.

See $FORREST_HOME/etc/cocoon_upgrade/README.txt
and http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/upgrading_08.html#cocoon
and various mail discussion.

-David