Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by jd...@tampabay.rr.com on 2003/11/13 01:04:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache and Bea

Hello group,

I am using apache-1.3.27 and Bea Weblogic 6.1 under
Solaris 8.  At the present time, I have to use these versions
to get support for the People Soft 8.43 portal that uses them.

The setup is as follows:

Cisco load balnancing Content switch with SSL acceleration
in front of the 4 web tier boxes.

Web Tier:  4 2-way 1Ghz Ultra Spac III with 2GB RAM.
APP Tier:  8 2-way 1Ghz Ultra Spac III with 2GB RAM.
 DB Tier:  1 6-way 1Ghz Ultra Spac III with 16GB RAM

We have been using LoadRunner to stress test the setup and
we are running into problems on the web teir.  We have apache
listening on port 9090 and using mod_proxy to send all requests
to Bea listening on port 8080.  We need apache in the picture to
use SiteMinders Netegrity agent for corporate wide single sign on.
The Netegrity agent for our old version of Bea does not support
being behind the content switch, so we need to use the apache
version.  With LoadRunner, we isolate one web server and test that
and are only able to get about 70 users into the system before it
is pegged at about 100% CPU usage.  Apache's usage has never gone
over 1%, it is Bea.  Anyway, running netstat -a | grep WAIT, we
see over 30,000 connections that do not appear to get closed.
I cannot tell if it is Bea or Apache that are not releasing the
connections.  Bea does have a binary only module for Apache that
bridges Apache to Bea instead of using mod_proxy, however the issue
still remains.  It there any setting that would make Apache force
these connections closed?  Is there anywhere in the source that
I could change to make Apache close these connections?

Thanks,

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 8C4CF29E

RE: [users@httpd] Apache and Bea

Posted by James Drabb <JD...@tampabay.rr.com>.

Most of the connections are in TIME_WAIT with maybe 10% or
so in CLOSE_WAIT.  The connections are all from Apache
on localhost:SOME_ARBITRARY_PORT to Bea on localhost:8080.

Does this suggest that it is Apache/mod_proxy that is not releasing
the connection to Bea?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.