Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Anurag Singh <an...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/15 21:03:59 UTC

[proposal] MESOS-4610: MasterContender/MasterDetector should be loadable as modules

Hi,

We're inviting user and developer comments on a series of changes we have
been working on that would modularize MasterContender and MasterDetectors.
The goal is to allow the use of detector and contender implementations
other than the ones that are part of Mesos source (Standalone and
Zookeeper). So if one would like to use a custom leader election mechanism
(e.g. one that relies on etcd, consul, etc.), it will be possible to load
the implementation from a shared library. In practice, it translates to
using the following command line options:

For the mesos master:

--master_contender: The value of this command line option is the name of a
symbol (defined in a module and referenced in the value of the --modules
flag). The symbol refers to an object of type Module<MasterContender>. For
an example, please see the test_contender_module.cpp file in
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44289/.

For the mesos master and slave:

--master_detector:  The value of this command line option is the name of a
symbol (defined in a module and referenced in the value of the --modules
flag). The symbol refers to an object of type Module<MasterDetector>. For
an example, please see the test_detector_module.cpp file in
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44289/.

The --modules option, in addition to pointing to the shared library and
symbols, can be used to pass parameters (via the Parameters class) to the
modules in the form of key-value pairs.

Also, please note that there is no change in the behavior of the legacy
--zk and --master options. They will continue to work as before.

The following changes implement this functionality and have been under
review (thanks to Joseph Wu (Mesosphere) for his input):

https://reviews.apache.org/r/44287/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44288/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44543/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44544/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44545/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44546/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44547/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44289/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44669/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/44670/

Re: [proposal] MESOS-4610: MasterContender/MasterDetector should be loadable as modules

Posted by Yan Xu <ya...@jxu.me>.
My apologies that due to some email filter issues I only see this right
now. Thanks Kapil for stepping in (and I am probably unable to shepherd
this right now)!

Posted by Anurag Singh <an...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kapil,

Posted by Anurag Singh <an...@gmail.com>.