Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Brittain <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/10 07:19:09 UTC

Re: problems faced in deploying servlet

Hi all.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 3/19/2013 1:05 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

[snip]

> Go get a copy of "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" by Jason Brittain (who
>> happens to lurk on this list, FYI)

Yep.  :)

> and Ian Darwin. It's targeted at
>> Tomcat 6.x but not much has changed (with old features) since its
>> publication. There's plenty of new, exciting stuff but the basics will
>> be well-covered by T:TDG.
>>

> +1
>
> This is a great book for Tomcat.

Very glad that it can still be useful, and still isn't fundamentally out of
date 5 1/2 years after it was published..  Tomcat has certainly advanced
quite a bit in that time, so there are new features, better performance,
better security, and more.  But, the fundamentals (and most of the details)
in the book are still just about all valid, at least for Tomcat 7.

It would be great to hear from you Tomcat users what else about Tomcat
you'd like to see documented.. What have you found missing (either from the
Apache Tomcat online docs or Tomcat books)?  What Tomcat docs do you wish
existed?

Here's one from me: I have often wished there were better docs about how
JULI logging works in Tomcat, including a more comprehensive set of useful
logging.properties examples, and text describing the full syntax.  Not real
exciting to write, but it would sure help in some cases.

I also recommend the following book for learning Servlets, JSP, etc.

> Head First Servlets and JSP, 2nd Edition
> By Bryan Basham, Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates
>
> It's an enjoyable read even for us old farts who come from traditional
> programming backgrounds. It manages to cover both the standards (2.5) and
> some best practices at the same time.

Nice.  I'll have to have a look at it..  Thanks for the recommendation.

--
Jason

Re: problems faced in deploying servlet

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Jason Brittain wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/19/2013 1:05 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> [snip]
>

>> Go get a copy of "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" by Jason Brittain (who
>>> happens to lurk on this list, FYI)
>>
> Yep.  :)
>

>> and Ian Darwin. It's targeted at
>>> Tomcat 6.x but not much has changed (with old features) since its
>>> publication. There's plenty of new, exciting stuff but the basics will
>>> be well-covered by T:TDG.
>>>
>> +1
>>
>> This is a great book for Tomcat.
>

> Very glad that it can still be useful, and still isn't fundamentally out of
> date 5 1/2 years after it was published..  Tomcat has certainly advanced
> quite a bit in that time, so there are new features, better performance,
> better security, and more.  But, the fundamentals (and most of the details)
> in the book are still just about all valid, at least for Tomcat 7.
>
> It would be great to hear from you Tomcat users what else about Tomcat
> you'd like to see documented.. What have you found missing (either from the
> Apache Tomcat online docs or Tomcat books)?  What Tomcat docs do you wish
> existed?
>
> Here's one from me: I have often wished there were better docs about how
> JULI logging works in Tomcat, including a more comprehensive set of useful
> logging.properties examples, and text describing the full syntax.  Not real
> exciting to write, but it would sure help in some cases.

+100
I'd get the book just for that.

Including an example of how to, by default, send all output to *one* logfile, and rotate
it cleanly on a weekly or monthly base, as any sysadmin would like to do, without having
to become a java (or juli) expert.