Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se> on 2004/07/25 19:44:27 UTC

Re: svn 1.1.x r10409: FAIL (i386-unknown-freebsdelf5.0 shared)

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 brane@xbc.nu wrote:

> PASS: update apr-0.9
> PASS: update apr-util-0.9
> PASS: update apache-2.0
> PASS: update subversion
> PASS: autogen.sh
> BUILD: apr-0.9
> PASS: apr-0.9::check rebuild status
> BUILD: apr-util-0.9
> PASS: apr-util-0.9::check rebuild status
> BUILD: apache-2.0
> PASS: apache-2.0::check rebuild status
>
> BUILD: 1.1.x r10409 on i386-unknown-freebsdelf5.0 shared
>
> PASS: check build type
> rm: /home/brane/svn/obj-sh/subversion/tests/clients/cmdline/repositories/switch_tests-6/db/transactions: Directory not empty
> rm: /home/brane/svn/obj-sh/subversion/tests/clients/cmdline/repositories/switch_tests-6/db: Directory not empty
> rm: /home/brane/svn/obj-sh/subversion/tests/clients/cmdline/repositories/switch_tests-6: Directory not empty
> rm: /home/brane/svn/obj-sh/subversion/tests/clients/cmdline/repositories/switch_tests-7/db/transactions: Directory not empty

Anyone who knows what's causing these failures? I've seen them quite often
the last month or so.

Regards,
//Peter

Re: svn 1.1.x r10409: FAIL (i386-unknown-freebsdelf5.0 shared)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Tuesday, July 27, 2004 12:00 AM +0200 "Branko ?ibej"
>
>> It truly is FreeBSD 5.0, but this only started happening a short
>> while ago.
>> I don't suppose FreeBSD has timed failure built in? .-)
>

> I wouldn't trust FreeBSD 5.0 very much.  This seems like a ufs bug -
> which was completely rewritten in the 5.x series (with ufs2) - 5.0 was
> the first release to include it - I know they had some bugs in the ufs
> layer that were subsequently fixed.  Very possible that this is one of
> them.
>
> Yes, it could be hardware, but my initial guess is an OS bug.  -- justin

I ran fsck manually on that volume and it found a bunch of orphaned
files and dirs, all of them from the test runs. I suspect those could be
the result of recent power outages due to thunderstorms (three times in
two days this week alone, several more times in the last month -- yuck).
We'll see what happens; first complete run already succeeded, so it
looks good. I did download the 5.2.1 install CD and will probably
upgrade in due time, if the problems persist. I'll definitely not buy a
UPS for that cruddy box. :-)

Note that none of this affected by firewall box (Debian with Reiserfs),
or the Linux test box (Debian with XFS on S/W RAID 0), or my working box
(WinXP with NTFS on H/W RAID 5, hehe, so it's really no contest). :-)

(No, I don't have all of those under my desk, the Linux test box is
somewhere else)

-- Brane

Re: svn 1.1.x r10409: FAIL (i386-unknown-freebsdelf5.0 shared)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by "Bruce A. Mah" <bm...@acm.org>.
On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 14:57, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> > I suspect my disk is slowly breaking down. Those directories _are_ empty,
> > but it takes a reboot before I can delete them.
> >
> > If anyone familiar with FreeBSD could give me a hint about how to fix this...
>
> If it truly is FreeBSD 5.0, I'd suggest upgrading to at least FreeBSD 5.2,
> which has proven fairly stable for me.

Or 5.2.1-RELEASE, even, which is a bugfix release for 5.2-RELEASE.

Bruce.

Re: svn 1.1.x r10409: FAIL (i386-unknown-freebsdelf5.0 shared)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.