Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/12 09:40:09 UTC

[test]How to run derby on Harmony?

Hi, all:
     We are now self-hosting derby on Harmony. But we encountered a problem:
     The vm we uses is a customized IBM J9 VM whose expected dehavior is the
same as standard VM while it name is still "J9".
     I have digged into the harness package and found that J9 VM is treated
differently. But Harmony VM will thus fails since its command is still java,
the options is the same as standard VM.
    Although I have commented out all the thing I found about "J9", but it
still fails with "0 passes 0 fails".
    But another VM drlvm, with the same classlib as we have, can start to
run.
    So I think is there a version of test tools that do not tread "J9"
differently thus we can use?:)
    Thank you.

--
Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [test]How to run derby on Harmony?

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Leo Li wrote:
> Hi, all:
>      We are now self-hosting derby on Harmony. But we encountered a problem:
>      The vm we uses is a customized IBM J9 VM whose expected dehavior is
> the same as standard VM while it name is still "J9".
>      I have digged into the harness package and found that J9 VM is
> treated differently. But Harmony VM will thus fails since its command is
> still java, the options is the same as standard VM.
>     Although I have commented out all the thing I found about "J9", but
> it still fails with "0 passes 0 fails".
>     But another VM drlvm, with the same classlib as we have, can start
> to run.
>     So I think is there a version of test tools that do not tread "J9"
> differently thus we can use?:)
>     Thank you.

That's one of the aspects of the Derby test harness I dislike, the fact
that running on a new virtual machine is not obvious. The community is
moving (slowly) to JUnit so that running the tests becomes more obvious.

There are a number of JUnit test suites that should run standalone
today. See http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyJUnitTesting and
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/KillDerbyTestHarness.

E.g. try running the test

org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.Embedded

as a standard Junit test.

Dan.