Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Bob Morris <mo...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/18 23:47:18 UTC

Grumble about (lack of) warning of deprecation of Canopy KMeans

I was taken aback  that the immensely touted and convenient Canopy
KMeans package was today deprecated [1] in the incubating  mahout 1.0
with no hint that I could find warned in this, at least back through
March. And even then I can  see only in retrospect that a suggestion
lurked in [2] that Streaming KMeans is preferable.  I only saw this
when, in tinkering with my apparently successful use of CanopyDriver,
I ended up in the JavaDoc from the SVN repo, which is where a public
document [3] directs developers.

At the very least, [4] should begin with a deprecation warning (I
commented  Jira MAHOUT-1513 to this effect). Also,  perhaps [3] should
point to the most released JavaDoc rather than the SVN trunk.

Apologies for the grumble if in fact I missed a warning posted here
and I redirect my grumble at myself.

Bob

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-1513
[2] http://mail-archives.us.apache.org/mod_mbox/mahout-user/201403.mbox/%3C1394662437.49533.YahooMailNeo%40web163502.mail.gq1.yahoo.com%3E
[3] https://mahout.apache.org/developers/developer-resources.html
[4] http://mahout.apache.org/users/clustering/canopy-clustering.html
--
Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390

Filtered Push Project
Harvard University Herbaria
Harvard University

web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://wiki.filteredpush.org
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram
===
The content of this communication is made entirely on my
own behalf and in no way should be deemed to express
official positions of The University of Massachusetts at Boston or
Harvard University.

Re: Grumble about (lack of) warning of deprecation of Canopy KMeans

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 5:47 PM, Bob Morris <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was taken aback  that the immensely touted and convenient Canopy
> KMeans package was today deprecated [1] in the incubating  mahout 1.0
> with no hint that I could find warned in this, at least back through
> March.

This was first proposed when Streaming KMeans was first rolled into Mahout
0.8 in June 2013.
The website documentation has always been a handicap until recent to
improve online documentation.

> And even then I can  see only in retrospect that a suggestion
> lurked in [2] that Streaming KMeans is preferable.  I only saw this
> when, in tinkering with my apparently successful use of CanopyDriver,
> I ended up in the JavaDoc from the SVN repo, which is where a public
> document [3] directs developers.
>
> At the very least, [4] should begin with a deprecation warning (I
> commented  Jira MAHOUT-1513 to this effect). Also,  perhaps [3] should
> point to the most released JavaDoc rather than the SVN trunk.

 Good point, will fix this to display a warning.

> Apologies for the grumble if in fact I missed a warning posted here
> and I redirect my grumble at myself.

 Not at all and thanks for the feedback Prof. Morris.