Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com> on 2016/08/31 12:31:45 UTC

What does effective:=active mean?

I just tried the experiment of moving our platform from 4.0.4 to
4.0.6, changing nothing but the karaf version. I received in return a
resolution error that I've never seen the like of before, complaining
that a particular service is missing with 'effective:=active'.

Since Karaf does not come to command level when this sort of thing
goes wrong, it is not obvious to me how to gain any insight into what
is wrong. The service reference itself is very strange;
'RosetteBundleWarmup' a DS reference like:

@Reference(target = "(component-name=name-matching)")
public void setWarmup(RosetteBundleWarmup warmup) {
    this.componentWarmup = warmup;
}

and I don't see the component-name filter in the error message. It's
also new to me that DS @Reference is even visible to resolution at the
time that boot features are being resolved.

2016-08-31 08:25:36,304 | ERROR | pool-6-thread-1  |
BootFeaturesInstaller            | 6 - org.apache.karaf.features.core
- 4.0.6 | Error installing boot features
org.osgi.service.resolver.ResolutionException: Unable to resolve root:
missing requirement [root] osgi.identity;
osgi.identity=rosapi-all-sdks; type=karaf.feature;
version="[1.2.6.SNAPSHOT,1.2.6.SNAPSHOT]";
filter:="(&(osgi.identity=rosapi-all-sdks)(type=karaf.feature)(version>=1.2.6.SNAPSHOT)(version<=1.2.6.SNAPSHOT))"
[caused by: Unable to resolve rosapi-all-sdks/1.2.6.SNAPSHOT: missing
requirement [rosapi-all-sdks/1.2.6.SNAPSHOT] osgi.identity;
osgi.identity=rosapi-worker-rni-rnt-sdk; type=karaf.feature [caused
by: Unable to resolve rosapi-worker-rni-rnt-sdk/1.2.6.SNAPSHOT:
missing requirement [rosapi-worker-rni-rnt-sdk/1.2.6.SNAPSHOT]
osgi.identity; osgi.identity=com.basistech.ws.rosapi-worker-rni-rnt-sdk;
type=osgi.bundle;
version="[1.2.6.v20160831122227,1.2.6.v20160831122227]";
resolution:=mandatory [caused by: Unable to resolve
com.basistech.ws.rosapi-worker-rni-rnt-sdk/1.2.6.v20160831122227:
missing requirement
[com.basistech.ws.rosapi-worker-rni-rnt-sdk/1.2.6.v20160831122227]
osgi.service; filter:="(objectClass=com.basistech.rosette.osgi.RosetteBundleWarmup)";
effective:=active]]]

Re: What does effective:=active mean?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Markus,

yes, correct, copy-paste mistake ;)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: What does effective:=active mean?

Posted by Markus Rathgeb <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
Btw, if that's not sufficient, i.e. if some people have a need for
disabling only specific feature, please raise  a JIRA and I can add the
flag on the repository / feature definition for 4.1.

Guillaume

Posted by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com>.
THANK YOU ALL!

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Benson,

Posted by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com>.
Gentlemen,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Benson,

See my comments inline:

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 5:50 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofr� <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>> So, I will explain a new time (for the third time ;)).
>
> JB,
>
> I apologize for not being awake when this came through before.

No worries, it was a joke ;)

> I just want to make sure that I am completely following this. The
> resolver is requiring that some bundle mentions the service in a
> Provide-Capability -- NOT that the service is actually running?

Correct.

> The service in question is provided by an 'old' OSGi bundle that does
> not bother to do a Provide-Capability for it; it's not a service, just
> a service launched the old-fashioned way.
>
> Is there some thread you can point me to that offers suggestions for
> dealing with this? I would rather not have to go add
> Provide-Capability manifest entries for all my dynamically created
> OSGi services. Is there an option in a cfg file or a feature.xml that
> turns this back off?

An alternative to the bundle itself is to set the capability at feature
level. The features XML can provide the capability (if the bundles don't):

<feature name="foo" version="1.0">
   <capability>
     osgi.service;effective:=active;objectClass=myService
   </capability>
</feature>

Regards
JB