Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> on 2017/12/12 15:46:16 UTC

[VOTE] Allowing write access to GitHub repositories (aka GitBox)

Hi all,

The Apache Infra team has started a new project earlier this year called
GitBox that supports two-way synchronization between GitHub and
git-wip-us.apache.org and, most importantly, provides GitHub write access
to committers. GitBox is not generally available yet, but individual
projects can ask to be migrated.

I would like to start a vote on migrating kafka and kafka-site to GitBox
and:

1. Providing GitHub write access to committers (this requires dual factor
authentication)
2. Allowing merges via the GitHub UI as well as the existing merge script
3. Enabling protected branches for trunk and release branches so that
merges via the GitHub UI can only be done if the tests pass and the PR has
been approved by a committer
4. Only allowing the "squash and merge" strategy for GitHub UI merges
5. Updating the merge script so that the GitHub git repo is the target of
the merge
6. Disallowing force pushes to trunk and release branches

The discussion thread talks about some of the pros and cons (mostly pros)
of this change:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7031168e7026222169c66fed29f5200fc4b561df28c242ccf706f326@%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

The vote will run for 72 hours.

Ismael

Re: [VOTE] Allowing write access to GitHub repositories (aka GitBox)

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] Allowing write access to GitHub repositories (aka GitBox)

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
+1

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
+1

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ismael,

I have setup the account and can verify that it works on kafka / kafka-site
PRs now!

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] Allowing write access to GitHub repositories (aka GitBox)

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.