Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1996/06/24 23:20:29 UTC

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "http download quits at 1.3MB" on BSDI (fwd)

> On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
>
> > does 1.0.5 have the timeout fixes ? or does it still do things based
> > on overall time?
>
> I think that my timeout patch was included in 1.0.3, which fixed an
> identical problem for me.
>
> Nathan

This problem looks more like a problem with a timeout on his
dialin server since it "only affects dialin lines". Perhaps
his portmaster or whatever is ignoring HTTP traffic on it's
logout timer...

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "http download quits at 1.3MB" on BSDI (fwd)

Posted by Nathan Schrenk <ns...@neog.com>.
> This problem looks more like a problem with a timeout on his
> dialin server since it "only affects dialin lines". Perhaps
> his portmaster or whatever is ignoring HTTP traffic on it's
> logout timer...

If he is running a version of Apache prior to 1.0.3, it is most likely
that Apache is at fault here.  Before 1.0.3 Apache would start a timer
when it started to send out a document, and would not ever reset the
timer.  When dealing with large files, slow connections (such as modem
connections), and the default timeout value this could result in transfers
from Apache to modem users getting interrupted.  1.0.3 contains a patch
which resets the timer value after every successful network write so that
this problem with modem users does not occur.

Nathan

--
Nathan Schrenk						nschrenk@neog.com
Neoglyphics Media Corp.                              http://www.neog.com/