Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Elaine Cario <et...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/18 17:29:48 UTC

CDCR configuration in solrconfig

We've recently been exploring options for disaster recovery, and took a
look at CDCR for our SolrCloud(s).  It seems to meet our needs, but we've
stumbled into a couple of issues with configuration.

The first issue is that currently CDCR is configured as a request handler
in solrconfig, but because we will use the same SolrConfig for collections
in different environments (e.g. development, qa, production), the config
will not always be deployed in an environment that has CDCR. As a last
resort, we are thinking we can drop back to an old-school xml include, and
configure different includes for different environments.  This isn't
particularly elegant, but workable. Wondering if anyone has done it some
other way?

The 2nd issue I haven't found a work-around for is the collection name
mapping within the cdcr request handler configuration.  For some of our
applications, we "share" the same Solr config with many collections.  When
deploying, we just "upconfig" to ZK, and either create a new collection
against that same config (config name != collection name).  I'm not sure
with the collection name "baked into" the config how I would manage that,
except to switch to using a dedicated config for each collection.

SOLR-8389 looks like it might solve some of these issues, or at least make
them easier to manage.  Is this on the roadmap at all?

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: CDCR configuration in solrconfig

Posted by Elaine Cario <et...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I will definitely take a look at the
Config API.  We are building more automation into our deployment processes,
and I think we could fit API calls into that.

Posted by Webster Homer <we...@sial.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.