Posted to users-cn@cloudstack.apache.org by Leiser Heinz <he...@everyware.ch> on 2016/01/06 07:49:13 UTC

Cross Pool VM migration fails (local to shaed)

Hi all,

Our Environment: ACS 4.5.1 with XenServer 6.5.0 (Local Storage):

We plan to migrate all VM's from XenServer Cluster with local storage (ext) to a shared storage pool (lvm) and have some challenges and questions.

When we stop a VM which is on local Storage and move it to shared storage and start it, it's Volume still shows "Storage Type = local".

When we then do a life migration, CloudStack moves the Volume back on a local Storage pool.

We assume this is because of the current Service Offering referred to the VM, which has a Local Storage Flag set to"use_local_storage=1".

When we try to change the Service Offering to an Offering with Storage Type = Shared Storage, it's not possible, as they are not listed in the Compute Offering Pull-Down Menu.

A work around would be to temporarily change the Flag "use_local_storage=1" of this Service Offering (in the database) to 0 then Change the Service Offering to one with "Share Storage" and revise the DB change.

Is there any trap we need to consider in this approach?
Has anyone experience with migration from a local Storage to a shared Storage with ACS 4.5/XenServer6.5?

What happen to the Template the VM was created from when we move to a shared storage, is there any "Chain" / dependency to it? Do we need to move the Template also from local Storage to the shared storage?

Thanks a lot for any response and advise

Best regards
Heinz

EveryWare AG
Heinz Leiser