Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> on 2002/11/15 21:31:05 UTC

[Review] mod_include.xml rework

I did some rework on the mod_include documentation. The main intention was
to get more clearness for the user. It's a 50 K diff, so I put it online at
<http://cvs.apache.org/~nd/mod_include.diff>. The html output can be found
at <http://cvs.apache.org/~nd/manual/mod/mod_include.html>.

The main changes are (a bit unsorted):

formal:
- moved path_info section below the "enabling" section
- dropped "Using Server Side Includes for ErrorDocuments" section and added
  a simple seealso instead. I don't see, that we need a separate section to
  set a link.
- created an own subsection for every SSI element and put an overview table
  on top of it, this resolves also the mozilla problem with nested <dl>s,
  that was still present (sometimes)

content:
- added a note about the behaviour of fsize/flastmod virtual
- removed apache 1.2 compatibility notes (this is a 2.x documentation)
- added a compat note in the module overview table
- added description for QUERY_STRING_UNESCAPED
- splitted flow control descriptions (=, != vs. <, <=, >, >=; the former
  allow regexps, the latter don't)
- added a sentence and an example about regexp capturing
- mentioned the literal comparison (vs. numerical)

the rest is mostly markup and reformatting.

Waiting for some comments, extensions, flames etc... ;-)

nd
--
"Die Untergeschosse der Sempergalerie bleiben währenddessen aus
 statistischen Gründen geflutet." -- Spiegel Online

Re: [Review] mod_include.xml rework

Posted by David Shane Holden <dp...@yahoo.com>.
André Malo wrote:

> yes, but CVS restricts (or gives the possibility to restrict) the admin
> command. I've read this in cvsbook ;-)
> However, just tried to modify the message:
>
> cvs [server aborted]: usage is restricted to members of the group cvsadmin
>
> nd

aw well ... guess we know it doesn't work now :)

Shane

Re: [Review] mod_include.xml rework

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* David Shane Holden wrote:

> André Malo wrote:
>> ah, thanks. I didn't try it, but I guess, I don't have the proper
>> permissions to use other admin options than -k. or...?
>
> It should work.  Since changing the log message is just modifying the
> RCS file in the repository which you already have permissions to do.

yes, but CVS restricts (or gives the possibility to restrict) the admin
command. I've read this in cvsbook ;-)
However, just tried to modify the message:

cvs [server aborted]: usage is restricted to members of the group cvsadmin

nd
--
Da fällt mir ein, wieso gibt es eigentlich in Unicode kein
"i" mit einem Herzchen als Tüpfelchen? Das wär sooo süüss!

                                 -- Björn Höhrmann in darw

Re: [Review] mod_include.xml rework

Posted by David Shane Holden <dp...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* David Shane Holden wrote:

> cvs admin -m

ah, thanks. I didn't try it, but I guess, I don't have the proper
permissions to use other admin options than -k. or...?

nd
--
$_=q?tvc!uif)%*|#Bopuifs!A`#~tvc!Xibu)%*|qsjou#Kvtu!A`#~tvc!KBQI!)*|~
tvc!ifmm)%*|#Qfsm!A`#~tvc!jt)%*|(Ibdlfs(~  # What the hell is JAPH? ;

Re: [Review] mod_include.xml rework

Posted by David Shane Holden <dp...@yahoo.com>.
André Malo wrote:

> *argh* sorry, I just forgot to log your reviewing action ;/ Is there a way
> to modify a log message?

cvs admin -m

Shane

Re: [Review] mod_include.xml rework

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, André Malo wrote:
> *argh* sorry, I just forgot to log your reviewing action ;/ Is there a way
> to modify a log message?

I don't think so.  But don't worry about it.  I've made that mistake too
many times to count.

Joshua.

Re: [Review] mod_include.xml rework

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Here are various minor comments:

thanks.

> - Rather than calling it the <seealso>The Filter Documentation</seealso>,
> just say <seealso>Filters</seealso>.  (I know, the docs are all over the
> map on this one, and it's mostly my fault.  But I think we should try to
> standardize on the short form.)

ok.

> - The "sizefmt"  entry is very poorly written (not your fault; you just
> copied the old one).  I think it should say "The value sets the format to
> be used when displaying the size of a file with the fsize element.  It's
> value can be bytes, Kb, or Mb."

No. valid values are "bytes" and "abbrev". I've added a sentence that could
clearify that. If it's still unclear, feel free to modify that.

> - I believe that the include virtual docs actually lie about not being
> able to include cgi scripts when under IncludesNoExec.  If the cgi is in a
> ScriptAliased directory, I believe that it will work.  This would need to
> be double-checked.

yep. just tested. Modified the text also to reflect the truth ;-)

> Joshua.

*argh* sorry, I just forgot to log your reviewing action ;/ Is there a way
to modify a log message?

nd
--
package Hacker::Perl::Another::Just;print
qq~@{[reverse split/::/ =>__PACKAGE__]}~;

#  André Malo  #  http://www.perlig.de  #

Re: [Review] mod_include.xml rework

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, André Malo wrote:

> I did some rework on the mod_include documentation. The main intention was
> to get more clearness for the user. It's a 50 K diff, so I put it online at
> <http://cvs.apache.org/~nd/mod_include.diff>. The html output can be found
> at <http://cvs.apache.org/~nd/manual/mod/mod_include.html>.

+1.

Here are various minor comments:

- Perhaps add a <seealso> for "SSI Tutorial".

- Rather than calling it the <seealso>The Filter Documentation</seealso>,
just say <seealso>Filters</seealso>.  (I know, the docs are all over the
map on this one, and it's mostly my fault.  But I think we should try to
standardize on the short form.)

- Formatted has two t's.

- Capitalize "element" and "description" in the summary table.

- After the table, I would say:
"SSI elements may be defined by modules other than mod_include.
In fact, the exec element is provide by mod_cgi, and will only be
available if this module is loaded."

- Under "errmsg", replace "whilst" with "while".

- The "sizefmt"  entry is very poorly written (not your fault; you just
copied the old one).  I think it should say "The value sets the format to
be used when displaying the size of a file with the fsize element.  It's
value can be bytes, Kb, or Mb."

- Under "echo", you should say "If the variable is unset, the result is
determined by the SSIUndefinedEcho directive."

- Perhaps a brief note under "encoding" that mentions that user-supplied
data should always be encoded to avoid Cross-Site scripting.