Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matías Rojas <ro...@nimbuzz.com> on 2008/10/14 10:35:55 UTC

NIO 100% CPU usage

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with NIO in Tomcat, maybe related to this issue:

Selector doesn't block on Selector.select(timeout) (lnx)

I'm using JDK 6 update 7 and it seems not to be fixed, does anybody have the
same problem?

When in heavy load, CPU usage goes to 100% and the only way to go back to
normal is restarting Tomcat.

Thanks,

Matías

Re: NIO 100% CPU usage

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
in the thread dump, the first line for each thread has nid=0x574

this is the hex value for the kernel thread identifier. transform this
into a decimal value,
if you do a top (and show threads, each thread will have a PID) that pid
corresponds to nid
same thing if you do ps, you can get LWP id, and that corresponds to the nid

Filip

Re: NIO 100% CPU usage

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Jerome Jar schrieb:
> Ronald,
>
> thread dumps contain the native ID of threads, and ps can output such IDs as
> well, so you can match the output together. Been there, done that.

L flag for ps shows all threads and contains thread numbers, usually
numerically starting above the PID, but IDs of threads generated much
later than the process might have higher offsets.

Java Thread Dump contains nid and tid. Depending on the platform and
JVM, one of the two is the Thread ID from ps, often in Hex.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: NIO 100% CPU usage

Posted by Jerome Jar <iu...@gmail.com>.
Ronald,

thread dumps contain the native ID of threads, and ps can output such IDs as
well, so you can match the output together. Been there, done that.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>wrote:

> Filip,
>
> How do your top or ps commands relate to threads in the thread dump?
> Are there shared ids or shared names in there?
>
> I'm searching for this for some time, so am really interested in what you
> mean.
>
> Ronald.
>

> Op woensdag, 15 oktober 2008 om 20:22 uur schreef Tomcat Users List <
> users@tomcat.apache.org>:
>

>> Subject: Re: NIO 100% CPU usage
>> Date: Wed Oct 15 20:22:43 CEST 2008
>> From: Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>
>>

>> ok, when you reproduce it, you don't really need a profiler,
>> you can do a top with threads on, or a ps -efL, and from those, you can
>> look into a thread dump
>>
>> I've never been able to reproduce the issue, so if you have a system, or
>> if you want to work with me, ping me offline at fhanik at apache dot org
>>
>> Filip
>>

>> Matías Rojas wrote:
>> > It's 6.0.18

"Houston, we have a problem."