Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2018/12/25 05:18:33 UTC

[users@httpd] acme-challenge folder exists but 404 contents

I have an apache install that has been up and running for months.  I use
LetEncrypt for certificates.  I went to renew all of my certificates
using an automated script that worked fine 3 months ago on the last
refresh.  It failed on every domain saying the challenge file was not
found.  I put a test.html file in /.well-known/acme-challenge folder,
and tried to access it with a browser, and it gave me a 404.  After
moving the test.html file around into other folders, it was found
correctly in every folder except acme-challenge.  I even renamed
acme-challenge to acme-challenge1 and acme1challenge, and test.html was
found in folders by those names.  Renamed it back to acme-challenge and
I'm again getting 404.  I have about 15 virtual hosts defined.  Exact
same situation in every virtual host  The folder specifically named
"acme-challenge" is somehow now being blocked or hidden by apache.

I'm using WAMP 3.1.3 (Apache 2.4.33).  The only .htaccess file in the
entire wamp tree is in the php folder, and I'm not using php. I'd say I
haven't made any changes that would cause this problem since the last
time I refreshed certificates.  But I guess I did 'something'.  But I'm
clueless.

One thing I did notice.... In the browser, if I look for a non-existent
file in any other folder, I get one 404 line saying the requested file
was not found on the server.  Fine.  But when I look for that same
non-existent file in the /.well-known/acme-challenge folder, I get that
same line.  But I also get another line I haven't seen before that says:

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

So not only can't find the file, it can't find a file to tell me it
can't find the file... (???).  But this line ONLY appears when trying to
get a file from that one specific directory named 'acme-challenge'.

Help.... certs have expired....

Thanks.

Jerry

Re: [users@httpd] Re: acme-challenge folder exists but 404 contents

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
On 12/25/2018 9:14 AM, Jonesy wrote:
> [...]
>>> requested file was not found on the server.  Fine.  But when I look
>>> for that same non-existent file in the /.well-known/acme-challenge
>>> folder, I get that same line.  But I also get another line I haven't
>>> seen before that says:
>>>
>>> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
>>> use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>>>
>>> So not only can't find the file, it can't find a file to tell me it
>>> can't find the file... (???). But this line ONLY appears when trying
>>> to get a file from that one specific directory named 'acme-challenge'.
>>>
>>> Help.... certs have expired....
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Jerry
> Well, just from the data you've shown, your _only_ failing
> directory  (.../.well-known/acme-challenge/)  jumps out as the
> only example in your testing that has a hyphenated directory name.

I had tried /.well-known/acme-challenge1, and it worked.  But even if it
was a hyphen, assuming there is no .htaccess file, is there something in
the configuration that would say to hide all directories with hyphens?

[users@httpd] Re: acme-challenge folder exists but 404 contents

Posted by Jonesy <SP...@jonz.net>.

--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ.net  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy     |  FreeBSD

Re: [users@httpd] acme-challenge folder exists but 404 contents

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
This sounds as if you have loaded "mod_md" and it has taken over the /.well-known/acme-challenge folder. This was a bug in that module which has been fixed in subsequent releases.

If you do not use mod_md, the easiest remedy is to not load it into your server.
If you want to use mod_md together with other Lets Encrypt clients such as certbot, you need to upgrade to a recent Apache httpd version or get the module from github and compile it yourself.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Posted by "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jm...@nde.ag>.
Hi Jerry,