Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by "Brad K." <ze...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/22 23:53:38 UTC

Re: Offline Install of Netbeans on JDK 8 (with nb-javac)

Hey all --

I've been trying to find a definitive yes or no to the question: can
Netbeans 11.3 (or later) be installed over Oracle's JDK 8 in a
non-internet connected environment and successfully add nb-javac?

I work in gov't and our development network is completely air-gapped to
everything.

Every time we try to start up a Java project, it asks us to install
nb-javac (as well as JavaFX stuff -- which is included in JDK 8.) We've
tried downloading various versions of javac-api, javac-impl and nb-javac
and the updater, plugins handler, etc., won't use any of them to meet
the nb-javac requirement plugin listed in the "Available Plugins" dialog.

If it is possible, what are the actual directions? Is it posted somewhere
and my Google-fu is lacking?

If its not possible, are there solutions that don't require Internet
connectivity? Could we setup our own plugin/update repo on our dev net?

Please help!

V/r,

Brad

Re: Offline Install of Netbeans on JDK 8 (with nb-javac)

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
BK,

Maybe start here?

https://github.com/oracle/nb-javac

You'll have to clone the repository (or release tag, or release) from a
place where you do have Internet access, and then go through the
appropriate channels to bring it into your environment.

Once there, you should be good to either build it or install it on a
local NetBeans platform.

If you need it in your air-gapped environment and have an internal Maven
repository, then install the binaries there. That way other folks can
download the JAR files, and copy them to the appropriate locations.

. . . just a thought
/mde/

Re: Re: Offline Install of Netbeans on JDK 8 (with nb-javac)

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
With this thread in mind….

So is there good documentation on the netbean launcher parameter/arguments? In other words, I recall one parameter to passing JDK.home defining the JDK location but are there others that may help here?

Is there maybe a new feature needed to add some of these configuration parameters to help in offline setup/configuration if the don’t exists?

Maybe some sort parameters like:
- “activatemodules” (which could be one or many),
- “install a module”,
- “setup directory” (where “to be installed” directories can be defined), etc.

Or would configurations of some of these manually in the etc/netbean.properties file help?

By the way did the nb-javac get pulled down? See https://github.com/oracle/nb-javac

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com (mailto:Ebresie@gmail.com)

Posted by "Brad K." <ze...@gmail.com>.
Happy to report that 13 rc-1 appears to solve the offline nb-javac
problem for me. I was able to do all the things I expected in my offline
instance of Windows.

Thanks! Now to get our security gonks to allow us to use it. ;)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "Brad K." <ze...@gmail.com>.
Gj --

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Brad,

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Brad K." <ze...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Brad K." <ze...@gmail.com>.
So does anyone have any hints of what I'm doing wrong? Not sure if
anyone noticed, but this described process fails for me...

Thanks!

[Compatibility Page] Re: Re: Offline Install of Netbeans on JDK 8 (with nb-javac)

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Is there a reference page someplace to show Netbeans compatibilities? Something like:

Netbeans version, Minimum JDK
Netbeans 13, JDK 11
Netbeans 12.6, JDK 8

Could also have other dependency columns as well if wanted to expand further on some dependencies (i.e. maven, ant, git, etc.)

Or would the Release page for given release be an alternative?

Posted by "Brad K." <ze...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Brad K." <ze...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Brad K." <ze...@gmail.com>.
On 1/4/2022 8:31 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 at 14:17, Brad K. <ze...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think I've captured it all here:
>> 2. Download/Install Oracle JDK 8 u311
>>
>> A complicated process!  You could perhaps try a daily build and/or rc
>> of NetBeans 13 in a couple of weeks.  nb-javac is now included.
That'll be nice ;)  Once we figure it out, our software/license/client
manager folks can create script(s) to automate the installation process.
I'm just trying to help them figure out what magic is necessary.
> Strictly speaking, Java 8 is not officially supported from NetBeans
> 13, although it should mostly work.
I think NetBeans 12 has been approved for use; I'm guessing that 13
won't have been approved quite yet. Gov't, you see.
> Is there a reason you can't have a "local" JDK 11/17 to run the IDE on
> though, separate to any system level JDK for development?
I will have to check with our software/license guy and see if they want
to support two JDKs on our dev boxes.
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

Thanks!

Re: Offline Install of Netbeans on JDK 8 (with nb-javac)

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Brad K." <ze...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "Brad K." <ze...@gmail.com>.