Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org> on 2019/07/10 00:55:51 UTC

Building a safe and productive space

Hi Diversity and Inclusion community,

In the past few weeks we've had a series of interactions that have impacted
the perception of trust, welcomeness, worthiness and safety of our efforts
and spaces. These interactions have focused on scrutinizing processes and
working dynamics and have added no value to the initiatives this committee
wants to drive forward.

There has been loud voices that have made conversations non-inclusive.
Their long debates with opposing opinions and without clear alternatives
have made it difficult for folks without the luxury of time or English as
their first language to contribute to the dialogue.

There has also been unproductive discussions that cause volunteer energy to
be drifted from productive work towards politics, bureaucracy and
unnecessary polemic discussions.

I recognize my responsibility to address this situation and to bring back
safety and stability to our community, so I decided to take two actions:

In the short term, I decided that the emails from individuals who have
demonstrated a detrimental behavior in the list will be moderated. This
action has the purpose to keep conversations respectful, productive and
inclusive.

In parallel, a team within the D&I committee will be working to draft and
establish rules of engagement for our community and committee, something
we'll call community compact and you'll see coming to the dev@ list soon.
We hope these rules of engagement will set the tone for our collaboration,
interactions and conversations.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Re: Building a safe and productive space

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 12:07 PM Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org> wrote:

> coming soon implies that I am drafting an initial proposal and will share
> it with the list but I'm a bit caught up with some personal stuff at the
> moment..

Ok, that works for me, no worries and thanks for clarifying!

-Bertrand

Re: Building a safe and productive space

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Gris,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Gris,

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
I hope the proposed rules will have something about keeping threads on
topic. I know I have been an offender on that. If one wants to question
the assumptions behind e.g. a discussion of a course of action, that
should be done in a separate thread, with its own subject line, from the
thread intended for discussing implementation.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
While I think it is worrisome that a respectful and well stated
dissenting opinion was considered cause for removal, I am +1 if people
don't feel safe to stand down.  Your friendship is more important than
this and I am here to support. -KAM

On 7/10/2019 8:15 AM, Naomi S wrote:
> +1
>
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 13:58, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Gris, it’s sad that you have to take these measures, but you have my
>> full support.
>>
>> Niall
>>
>> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 01:56, Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Diversity and Inclusion community,
>>>
>>> In the past few weeks we've had a series of interactions that have
>> impacted
>>> the perception of trust, welcomeness, worthiness and safety of our
>> efforts
>>> and spaces. These interactions have focused on scrutinizing processes and
>>> working dynamics and have added no value to the initiatives this
>> committee
>>> wants to drive forward.
>>>
>>> There has been loud voices that have made conversations non-inclusive.
>>> Their long debates with opposing opinions and without clear alternatives
>>> have made it difficult for folks without the luxury of time or English as
>>> their first language to contribute to the dialogue.
>>>
>>> There has also been unproductive discussions that cause volunteer energy
>>> be drifted from productive work towards politics, bureaucracy and
>>> unnecessary polemic discussions.
>>>
>>> I recognize my responsibility to address this situation and to bring back
>>> safety and stability to our community, so I decided to take two actions:
>>>
>>> In the short term, I decided that the emails from individuals who have
>>> demonstrated a detrimental behavior in the list will be moderated. This
>>> action has the purpose to keep conversations respectful, productive and
>>> inclusive.
>>>
>>> In parallel, a team within the D&I committee will be working to draft and
>>> establish rules of engagement for our community and committee, something
>>> we'll call community compact and you'll see coming to the dev@ list
>> soon.
>>> We hope these rules of engagement will set the tone for our
>> collaboration,
>>> interactions and conversations.
>>>
>>> If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,

Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation

Re: Building a safe and productive space

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.
+1

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.