Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com> on 2012/06/04 23:06:08 UTC

mini node in a cluster

I have a machine that is part of the cluster but I'd like to dedicate it
to being the web server and run the db but still have access to starting
jobs and getting data out of hdfs. In other words I'd like to have the
cores, memory, and disk only minimally affected by running jobs on the
cluster yet still have easy access when I need to get data out.

I assume I can do something like set the max number of jobs for the node
to 0 and something similar for hdfs? Is there a recommended way to go
about this?

Re: mini node in a cluster

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
OK, so remove the mini-node (client) from the master's slaves since it's
no longer a node. This will cause the client to not get started when the
master starts. There is no init.d script on the client only the master
since it was always started by the master through ssh and start-all.sh.
The config on the client is still set to point to the master so hadoops
-fs will get data from the cluster. I suppose having init.d scripts on
all the slaves (not the clients) as well as the master is a better way
to handle power outages since they will come up at slightly different times.

I think I get it now. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks,
Pat

Re: mini node in a cluster

Posted by Tom Melendez <to...@supertom.com>.
Hi Pat,

Re: mini node in a cluster

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
Hi Tom,

Sounds like the trick. This node is a slave so it's datanode and
tasktracker are started from the master.
    - how do I start the cluster without starting the datanode and the
tasktracker on the mini-node slave? Remove it from slaves?
    - what do I minimally need to start on the mini-node?

Also I have replication set to 2 so the data will just get re-replicated
once the mini-node is reconfigured, right? There should be another copy
somewhere on the cluster.

Thanks
Pat

Re: mini node in a cluster