Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/15 04:45:05 UTC

Copyright Statement

While searching for more answers on how to make the
ofbiz-sandbox ASF friendly (both legally and ASF
administrative safe guard wise), I came across a
distinction between contributions to the Free Software
Foundation (FSF) and contributions to the ASF that I
think may have been inadequately addressed in OFBiz.
IANAL.

Contributions to FSF require a copyright assignment,
while contributions to ASF generally, simply grant
license of use, modification, etc.  This distinction
allows FSF software to carry the copyright notice
"Copyright YYYY The Free Software Foundation" by
itself.

I looked at a couple of the other ASF TLPs and noticed
they were either missing a copyright notice in
individual files or in the case of Geronimo, had the
following:

 * Copyright 2004, 2005 The Apache Software Foundation
or its licensors, as applicable.

I only looked at a couple files, so this is no where
near a comprehensive search.  As it is now, nearly
every file in OFBiz says:

    Copyright 2001-2006 The Apache Software Foundation

Which perhaps in and of itself is a copyright
violation. One for the beginning year (it may be
materially false as I wouldn't think a copyright can
be assigned retroactively) and two for the exclusion
of those who may actually have the copyright (the
author, etc).  To my knowledge, there was no request
to the community for copyright assignment.

I hope no one construes this as causing a fuss or as a
distraction.  One of the reasons for the move to the
ASF for the project, as I understood it, was a
proactive step to avoid legal hassles.  I just want us
to take advantage of that benefit and protect all of
our hard work.

TIA for your feedback,
Chris

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com>.
The easy answer... Whatever people want to share.

The longer answer:
 - New apps
 - very specialized apps
 - examples
 - works in progress

Whatever people are working on that they want to share.

I think the biggest thing that will happen is that many of the
developers on the fringe will finally have a home to 1.) share their pet
projects that might not be completely working yet...  and 2.) find cool
ideas for features that you didn't realize you could use and even though
their not completely working (see point 1) help get them into working
order.

Daniel

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
+1 :-)
--- Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > If I'm able to make a valid claim to copyright
> and
> > > exclude other holders, then I'm able to
> appropriately
> > > grant license to the ASF.
> > >
> > > If the ASF doesn't hold copyright in it's
> entirety,
> > > then I would think this would need to be
> clarified
> > > somewhere inside the project(ie LICENSE or
> NOTICE
> > > files). Even failing that need, the only thing
> I'm
> > > finding on apache.org is the intent to gain
> copyright
> > > ownership approved in past board minutes but
> never an
> > > actual vehicle to attain copyright ownership.
> > > ie used the google search
> > > site:www.apache.org copyright assignment
> > >
> > > Can you point me to a definitive place for this

=== message truncated ===

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com>.
David

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Chris,

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
David,

OK, I will have to do it on Linux because doing it on Windows is generating inconsistent end of lines (trapped when doing a command
line "svn di > test.log"  to check work done)

Jacques

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Jacques,

Re: Copyright Statement

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
David,

From: "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks J Aaron!

David, as per that link, should we make a JIRA issue
to remove the copyright notice from the source
headers?

I guess I'm still in search of a suitable model for
the sandbox.  The closest thing I have is to have
contributors sign an individual and collective grant,
but I still don't like the liability that exposes for
what amounts to a temporary partnership.

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.

Re: Copyright Statement

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.