Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by couzteau <co...@bitfaeule.net> on 2008/11/20 22:15:52 UTC

topic's not available on some machines

Hi,
My JMS system does not work reliably. Some machines receive messages and
others do not. My setup is simple:
   - The production servers (running JBoss 4.2.2GA, JDK 1.6.0_10 on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux ES release 4 , ActiveMQ 5.1 together with Spring 2.5) is
hosting a web service that also acts as a message producer to a topic. The
same machine hosts the message broker.
   - consumers running on remote machines can register at the broker (I see
that by running the broker with debug output), but do not receive the
messages.
   - consumers running on the same machine do receive messages.

In my dev environments (MacOSX 10.5, CentOS release 5 (Final)) I cannot
repro the problem.

As a workaround I have deployed a second broker on the same machine and a
consumer that forwards the messages locally to the second broker. Consumers
subscribing to the 2nd broker work fine.

I tested a lot of permutations and where to run brokers and clients which
reveals that only when messages are produced on the production machine I
have problems receiving the messages. I'm using the same builds on different
machines and still get different results if the redhat machine hosts the
producer.

What could cause this problem? How can I find out what is not working?

Thanks for help.

I'm using ActiveMQ 5.1

Configuration in my spring based web service:
	<bean id="jmsConnectionFactory"
		<property name="brokerURL" value="tcp://my.machine.com:61626" />
	</bean>

this how I launch the broker
   ./activemq broker:\(tcp://my.machine.com:61626\)

This is the producer bean (the consumer uses JmsTemplate too!)
	<bean id="jmsTemplate"
		class="org.springframework.jms.core.JmsTemplate">
		<property name="connectionFactory" ref="jmsConnectionFactory" />
		<property name="defaultDestination" ref="xedocDestination" />
		<property name="messageConverter" ref="buildConverter" />
		<property name="timeToLive" value="180000" />
		<property name="explicitQosEnabled" value="true" />
	</bean>

This is the topic bean
	<bean id="codexDestination"
		class="org.apache.activemq.command.ActiveMQTopic">
		<constructor-arg index="0" value="xedoc.all" />
	</bean>

The redhat machine runs this hardware and the JVM runs with 1GB of RAM:
	+ CPU model  Xeon E5345@2.33GHz
	+ 4 CPU cores
	+ 2nd level cache: 4GB
	+ 12GB RAM