Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by benoit ciceron <bc...@hotmail.com> on 2013/04/21 03:54:00 UTC

building without included zookeeper

hello,
after having been able to build mesos with all default and able to run it, we wanted to rebuild but have it use our exisitng zookeeper since we already have a separate one up (zookeeper 3.4.5 package for ubuntu 12.04), so i tried to build mesos doing the following:
using the latest mesos from github git checkout 0.12.x
./configure LDFLAGS='-L/usr/lib' LIBS='-lzookeeper_mt' CXXFLAGS='-I /usr/include/zookeeper/' CPPFLAGS='-I /usr/include/zookeeper/' CFLAGS='-I /usr/include/zookeeper/' --with-webui --without-included-zookeeper --prefix=/home/install/mesos3 --with-zookeeper=/usr/share/zookeeper/ --with-curl --disable-perftools
but then still fails trying to build zookeeper:g++: error: /home/mesos/third_party/zookeeper-3.3.4/src/c/.libs/libzookeeper_mt.a: No such file or directorybut we already have that lib :+1: $ ls -l /usr/lib/libzookeeper_mt.a-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 645800 Nov 29 09:34 /usr/lib/libzookeeper_mt.a
anyone has integrated their existing zookeeper with mesos yet ?
thanks,ben-
mesos-dev@incubator.apache.org

Re: building without included zookeeper

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.
Ok cool, let us know if you have other questions!

Posted by ben ciceron <bc...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.
Glad to be of help, see my answers inline below:

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM, ben ciceron <bc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> thx benjamin, this give me hope ;)
>
> let me make sure i got it right :
>
> -a plain ./configure with NO extra tags would allow us to build and run a
> mesos master and slave that would connect to our existing zk

Yes.

> -we only have to add the -zk options as documented below for both
> master+slave only at run time, nothing at configure/build time

Yes. Let me know if you need more help with this.

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.
Mesos can connect to an existing ZK if you build with the included ZK code.
It simply means the client code we use is for the version we bundle.

Running a plain configure still allows you to connect to an existing ZK
cluster, you simply need to pass the appropriate --zk flag on the master,
and the appropriate --master flag on the slaves:

mesos-master --help
  --zk=VAL                      ZooKeeper URL (used for leader election
amongst masters)
                                May be one of:

zk://host1:port1/path,host2:port2/path,...
                                  zk://username:password@host1
:port1/path,host2:port2/path,...
                                  file://path/to/file (where file contains
one of the above) (default: )

mesos-slave --help
  --master=VAL                             May be one of:

 zk://host1:port1/path,host2:port2/path,...
                                             zk://username:password@host1
:port1/path,host2:port2/path,...
                                             file://path/to/file (where
file contains one of the above)

Note that the existing help message doesn't quite match the one I included
here, as it currently has a bad ZK path example. We'll be fixing that
message soon.

That being said, you should be able to build with your own ZooKeeper
library, I just didn't have any quick hunches myself as to why this wasn't
working out for you.

Posted by ben ciceron <bc...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by ben ciceron <bc...@hotmail.com>.
i saw the zookeeper one here: