Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Norman Breau <no...@normanbreau.com> on 2020/10/14 21:46:28 UTC

Minimum Target SDK

Hi team,

A recent discussion came up about what the minimum Target SDK we should support. Google enforces apps to be built with at least Target SDK 28 (soon to be 29 coming November), but Cordova users may not be publishing to the Google Play store, particularly with enterprise businesses with internal distribution systems.
This is currently not documented and I would like it to be documented because we were close to merging a PR that would make the camera plugin require Target SDK 28. But before I submit a documentation PR I would like some feedback on what our minimum Target SDK should be.
Logically I think it makes the most sense to say that whatever what our Minimum SDK level is should be our minimum supported Target SDK (which is currently 22 for cordova-android@9).
For clarity because terminology here is a little confusion:
Minimum SDK = The minimum supported OS
Target SDK = The SDK level used to compile an app.

Norman Breau
Software Developer

norman@normanbreau.com (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/C6CAC914-84D1-430D-9FD4-ACD8F2BCDEB2@getmailspring.com/0?redirect=mailto%3Anorman%40normanbreau.com&recipient=ZGV2QGNvcmRvdmEuYXBhY2hlLm9yZw%3D%3D)
https://breautek.com (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/C6CAC914-84D1-430D-9FD4-ACD8F2BCDEB2@getmailspring.com/2?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fbreautek.com&recipient=ZGV2QGNvcmRvdmEuYXBhY2hlLm9yZw%3D%3D)

RE: Minimum Target SDK

Posted by Pieter Van Poyer <Pi...@portofantwerp.com>.
Hi

> Sounds like the stance we are to take is to officially only support
> the cordova default target/compile sdk version (which is currently
> 29). Users can change this if they wish at their own risk.

I think this absolutely a good decision.
This gives the developers the oppurtunity to develop with modern features.

Changing is at their own risk.
If it is easy to give them the possibility to set it lower than the min SDK, we should consider this, I think.

Maybe a warning message should be better, but I think, we should only do an effort if it's not too much work.

There are more important issues IMO, that need more attention. (AndroidX)

Kind regards

Pieter Van Poyer
1700
DI/DB

Havenbedrijf Antwerpen/Antwerp Port Authority
Zaha Hadidplein 1
2030 Antwerpen, België
T +32 3 229 76 85
Pieter.VanPoyer@portofantwerp.com

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.

https://github.com/apache/cordova-android/issues/1070

Re: Minimum Target SDK

Posted by Norman Breau <no...@normanbreau.com>.

RE: Minimum Target SDK

Posted by Pieter Van Poyer <Pi...@portofantwerp.com>.
Hi

I'd like to give my opinion. Because the discussion about the sdk version was with me.

I don't like to disagree with Norman, but the problem with the CameraPlugin was IMO not with the targetSdkVersion. I could lower the targetSdkVersion to 22 without any problems.

The problem was with the compileSdkVersion.
I was not able to use a constant available in android 28 (Build.VERSION_CODES.P, if I am right), because Norman suggested it would be able to compile with android level 22.
So I did change it to the numerical 28 .

[cid:image001.png@01D6A2DF.6FFEBAE0]

So IMO, there may be more guidelines

  1.  About the targetSdkVersion. Not sure about that one. ( https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-sdk-element.html#target )
  2.  About the compileSdkVersion (only support officially the one used for cordova-android – 29).

El El mié, 14 oct 2020 a las 23:46, Norman Breau <no...@normanbreau.com>>

Re: Minimum Target SDK

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.