Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Matt Kane <as...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/25 11:24:46 UTC

Plugins

Hi,
What's the plan for the plugins repo? It doesn't appear to have been moved over to the callback github account. Is this by accident or design?

Matt

Re: Plugins

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Hey Matt, by design --- we have no verified the plugins IP w/ a CLA.
(Its a free-for-all.)

We plan to formalize plugins much more in the coming months. Roughly,
we require:

- agreed upon package format
- validation of said packages
- installation / removal
- discovery of plugins via a cli (something like maven, gems, pip,
deb, yum or npm)

The idea is that you could compose your own Apache Callback.

We foresee of three kinds of plugin:

- core (stuff we maintain / the core PhoneGap API today)
- more (stuff we verify and possibly maintain from trusted sources
like, say, adobe or facebook or something)
- community (wild west)

Plugins have obviously been a huge success. We're going to continue
making them better.